MS4 Rotations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

itsadoctor

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sorry if this is in the wrong place. I wasn't sure where exactly to post this.

For my 4th year, I need to set up my own rotations (pretty normal) but my school doesn't provide any guidance on how to do this.

I'm interested in IM so does that mean I do all my electives in IM? Do I pick specialties such as GI/Card/Resp? Do I look up programs im interested in and do my electives based off their IM requirements? (I've been told that certain IM programs will require that I do GI as an elective or Cardio as an elective, but I wasn't sure if I look this up on the sites for the programs or VSAS?

I've been trying to google around and read up on it but I am just looking for some guidance. If there are any websites that you've found to be helpful please link! I tried looking on sdn but I didn't really see exactly what I was looking for but if you have come across a post similar to what i'm asking, please link me :)

Thank you in advance. :)

Members don't see this ad.

I would do one medicine sub-I (preferably MICU or CCU but a difficult floor rotation is fine too) and 2 medicine inpatient subspecialty electives (doesn’t really matter which; at my school, ID, pulm, GI, and cards were probably the most popular). Those should be done early (finish by end of August if possible) so you can get letters. The rest of your rotations just have to meet graduation requirements so do whatever you want. Lots of people like doing radiology electives, but really just do whatever you want.

Reactions: 1 users
I would do one medicine sub-I (preferably MICU or CCU but a difficult floor rotation is fine too) and 2 medicine inpatient subspecialty electives (doesn’t really matter which; at my school, ID, pulm, GI, and cards were probably the most popular). Those should be done early (finish by end of August if possible) so you can get letters. The rest of your rotations just have to meet graduation requirements so do whatever you want. Lots of people like doing radiology electives, but really just do whatever you want.

Thanks for the reply!

I was also wondering, it is okay to do a rotation at a location not linked to a residency? The doctor at the hospital, i've built a rapport with and she's very helpful and friendly.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the reply!

I was also wondering, it is okay to do a rotation at a location not linked to a residency? The doctor at the hospital, i've built a rapport with and she's very helpful and friendly.

Sure, but definitely not for your sub-I and probably not for both of your IM electives. Basically I wouldn’t if you’re trying to get a letter from them.

If you don't need these for letters or application purposes, then take non-IM electives to supplement your education. For example, dermatology, neurology are usually weaknesses of many internists (myself included), and taking them after the ERAS application is submitted can be high yield.

These letters can be from any of those subspecialty attendings? Also if you don't mind me asking, are these (both the Sub-I and inpatient subspecialty electives generally 2 or 4 weeks? I'm confused how do you get 3 4 week rotations done by the end of August. I'm unfamiliar with the details of VSLO so forgive my ignorance

Reactions: 1 user
I agree that you should do a MICU rotation and an IM subspecialty rotation at least. Main concern is getting letters. Remaining weeks can be for step 2 studying or a third rotation.

I'm confused how do you get 3 4 week rotations done by the end of August
If you are going the path of the triple letter-earning rotations (competitive IM, EM, anything surgical) as of right now (late June) you are either finishing up your first AI or have already taken CK.

Reactions: 1 user
Sure, but definitely not for your sub-I and probably not for both of your IM electives. Basically I wouldn’t if you’re trying to get a letter from them.

My only 4th year requirement is EM, but everything else is free for all with max 6 in one specialty. I was thinking about doing 6 in IM but it seems like maybe not? And I was thinking 1 of the IMs do it with the doctor I have a rapport with so I can get a really good LOR. But it seems maybe not that as well? As for the non-IM rotations is it recommended to do them at hospitals I want to possibly be a resident at or do them wherever I can?

Sorry for all the questions - just trying to get a clear plan.