MS4 w/ red flags trying to match near PGY1 partner

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gopher00

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a US-IMG who is applying for the match, but I have some significant red flags in my application (e.g. failed step 1, weak step 1 repeat score, 1+ yr gap to dig myself out of the hole I got into). I passed CS/CK on the 1st try and aced all my rotations during M3. I'm applying to FM/IM with the strongest emphasis on FM obviously.

I have a SO who started med school with me, but is now an IM-PGY1 at a large city program while I am lagging behind. It would ideal if I could match in the same city or program, but I'm having concerns that it won't happen. My SO is a strong candidate with high step scores and is considering transferring if it looks like I won't be getting any interest from programs near the same city. From my understanding, transferring is a very delicate situation because of timing/availability and pretty darn hard to accomplish. I won't even know where I'll be until match day. I want to make sure I have a plan in place beforehand just in case things start looking bad.

Could someone give me some advice on what preparation I can do right now? Should we be telling my SO's PD right now and risk my SO losing the spot at the program? Or should we start emailing the programs I'm getting interviews at to look out for PGY2 openings?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I wouldn't put your SO residency at risk. Your chances of matching are low. Don't risk her guaranteed residency for your maybe.

Reactions: 1 user
Match anywhere. Take anything. It's only for 2 more years until you're together with your spouse (she'll finish before you).

Just get it done!

Like you said, it's unclear where she'd transfer to. If you match, you won't know where until March. At that point she could ask around for nearby programs with a PGY-2 spot, but it would be unlikely it would all work out perfectly. Resign yourself to the fact that if you somehow do happen to match, you will likely be apart for at least a year or two.

Match anywhere. Take anything. It's only for 2 more years until you're together with your spouse (she'll finish before you).

Just get it done!

I agree that 2 years is not that much longer. I just wanted to make sure I explored all the options beforehand.

i would try to do an externship/observership and be awesome. ask your SO to help you get one

i would try to do an externship/observership and be awesome. ask your SO to help you get one

The OP is a student and is not eligible for externships or observerships; these are usually the bottom of the barrel desperate grasps by foreign graduated physicians. It is probably too late for the OP to do a clinical elective at his SOs program in an effort to match there this year although there is no harm in asking.

The OP is a student and is not eligible for externships or observerships; these are usually the bottom of the barrel desperate grasps by foreign graduated physicians. It is probably too late for the OP to do a clinical elective at his SOs program in an effort to match there this year although there is no harm in asking.

I guess one important question to the OP is, "if you haven't spent at least 4 months in the same city doing electives and getting good LORs, why not?". Because that's the best thing you could have done for yourself. But it's a bit late now.

Sorry, but it sounds like a really bad idea to mess up your SO's career trajectory just for you to be closer together for a couple of years. As others have mentioned, since she'll be done earlier than you, it will only be a couple of years apart. Since it sounds like she's doing well, why mess that up by trying to have her transfer close to a place you might be? Too many variables and too much uncertainty. :thumbdown:

Last edited:
Do not contact her PD. There's nothing they can really do for you, and there's really no point until you know where you'll be. Worry about transfer questions later.

Apply in the area. See what happens. As mentioned, you should have already been in the area, but there may still be some time to set up auditions. Ask around, see what's available.

I'm curious to see how this turns out, as I'm on the other side of a similar situation (I'm matching this year, my SO next). Good luck to you both.

Agree with the advice above. A bit more bluntly, you screwed up, not her. Don't mess with her career.

Update: I figure someone else who failed a step exam may benefit from my experience if this comes up in a search. I just wrapped up interview season and was very happy about the number/quality of invitations that I got. I even got some in the same city as my partner. I'll rank all those programs highest and hope I did my best in the interviews. Most programs did want me to address my repeat, but for the most part they really didn't focus too much on it. The feedback I got was that my improvement on CK, my LORs and my volunteer experiences was what got me invited. A lot of people told me (prior to Sept 15th) that I'd have a low chance of matching or no chance at all and I took that with a grain of salt. I did do away electives in the same city that my partner is at and received a bulk of my LORs from that region so that definitely helped. I think in hindsight I could have contacted some programs before ERAS season or gone to a conference to network myself a little better.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Post-Match Update: I matched to my #1 program

Last edited:
Reactions: 11 users
That's awesome... congrats!

Were you a Caribbean grad?
Congratulations for you amazing achievement .