MS4 with good Step 1 and low Level 1: should I just not report my COMLEX scores initially just to get past filters?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

boyington!

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Title basically says it all. Was going through ERAS app tonight and had this idea. I know the general thought is that USMLE trumps COMLEX every time, but I am just worried I'll pass USMLE filters and fail COMLEX filters if that makes sense (assuming my choice programs have filters for both).

Members don't see this ad.

I'm no PD, but I believe the COMLEX filter is only there for people without a step score.

You can’t do that. You have to report comlex. As the other poster said, if you have step they’ll probably just look at that and just make sure you pass comlex.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm no PD, but I believe the COMLEX filter is only there for people without a step score.
Title basically says it all. Was going through ERAS app tonight and had this idea. I know the general thought is that USMLE trumps COMLEX every time, but I am just worried I'll pass USMLE filters and fail COMLEX filters if that makes sense (assuming my choice programs have filters for both).

Nope as a DO you will need to report your USMLE and COMLEX. Even if you don't report your usmle your usmle ID is available and PDs can find your pass/no pass score and vice versa with comlex.

Do NOT come in planning to fail one or the other. You should set yourself to pass both exams. Pressure is less to "do well" since there will be no score provided.

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
That is similar to an alopath asking do I have to report my USMLE if it's low.

This won’t be an issue, the filters are usually or not and, so if you meet one requirement you won’t be filtered out, especially if you meet the USMLE requirement. Also some of these requirements seem ridiculous, I’ve seen IM programs say they want a minimum of like 230 or 240 and 600 comlex and they have several DO’s on roster, this means the average step of everyone is like 250+ If the minimum is 230 or 240, that’s hard to believe. More than likely they have such high apparent cut offs to weed out some low scoring candidates, the ones that have a lower score than that and still apply they will still interview some of those.