• Please review the updated member agreement. Included is a new statement supporting the scientific method and evidence-based medicine. Claims or statements about disease processes should reference widely accepted scientific resources. Theoretical medical speculation is encouraged as part of the overall scientific process. However, unscientific statements that promote unfounded ideological positions or agendas may be removed.

docjolly

On Cloud Nine, Once Again
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 3, 2004
The Empire State
Status
Attending Physician
Hello,

Does anyone know when the MSAR for the 2005-2006 entering class will be available? I called AAMC in Feb and was told that it would be coming out at the beginning of March..But I still don't see it on their website...

Would it make a difference if I were to purchase their current book for the 2004-2005 entering class?

Trekkie963

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 13, 2004
California
Visit site
Status
Originally posted by docmemi
i would wait it out a bit more...there will be some updated curriculum stuff, new stats, and maybe some more useful info.
I agree with docmemi. Medical education has been changing a lot in the past few years, and I wouldn't be surprised if some schools were debuting new curricula that would make the 2004-2005 info obsolete.

About the Ads

docjolly

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 3, 2004
The Empire State
Status
Attending Physician
thanks trekki and docmimi,

for the advice..:)

CaMD

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 10, 2003
CA
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
So if we are applying this spring (2004) for entry in the fall of 2005, we want the 2004-2005 version, right?

(This sounds dumb, now that I'm typing it, but I want to make sure and get the right one.)

bewitched1081

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 5, 2004
Visit site
Status
your student bookstore might have it

Heal&Teach

cogito ergo sum
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 24, 2003
adsum
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I'd suggest referencing the MSAR through your library and waiting for the newest US News or Princeton book to come out. They typically have much more comprehensive information than the MSAR (which I learned after purchasing the book). If anything, the MSAR is a nice addition to your library, but may not be the most useful if you're looking for more specific stats from more recent years (as this book tends to lag by a year, so the next one out will be the 2003-2004 stats I believe).

docmemi

1K Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 21, 2003
Los Angeles, Calif.
Visit site
Status
Originally posted by Heal&Teach
I'd suggest referencing the MSAR through your library and waiting for the newest US News or Princeton book to come out. They typically have much more comprehensive information than the MSAR (which I learned after purchasing the book). If anything, the MSAR is a nice addition to your library, but may not be the most useful if you're looking for more specific stats from more recent years (as this book tends to lag by a year, so the next one out will be the 2003-2004 stats I believe).
um, i dont know about us news but the PR one is very bad. its filled with old info and stats. i would have to disagree. the msar is the best and only official book (written by the med schools themselves), whereas PR is written by PR.

CaMD

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 10, 2003
CA
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Yeah, I bought the PR book last fall and what a waste of money! It's very incomplete and what does discuss varies school by school so you can't really compare. The description of what's required by each school is a joke.

I want the MSAR because I was so horribly disappointed by PR.

docjolly

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 3, 2004
The Empire State
Status
Attending Physician
the premed advisor at my alma mater told us last week that books published by the PR are not 100% reliable b/c they have been found to contain mistakes (in terms of average MCAT scores, average GPAs, instate/out of state matriculates, tuition, etc)..

the MSAR contains information received DIRECTLY from all med. schools here in the States...

i just checked in the AAMC website, and the MSAR for the 2005-2006 first year class should be available by April 1st:clap:

Amy B

I miss my son so much
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 7, 2000
Virginia
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Definitely wait for the new MSAR. It is the only book you want. YOur pre-med advisor's will have it so you can save on buying it.

Chose wisely when it comes to applying.

Heal&Teach

cogito ergo sum
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 24, 2003
adsum
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I don't doubt that the MSAR isn't a good book, for the very reason that it is straight from the horse's mouth, but it may not have all of the stats that you're looking for. I'll still advocate for using the US News stats along with this book. I still think that you could forgo buying it and reference it through your pre-med advisor as someone has suggested.

E

Eraserhead

Get the new MSAR and get the US News stuff too because it will give you the info on the number of people interviewed and the number accepted (whereas the MSAR only gives you the number that matriculate, which in some cases is far less).

Heal&Teach

cogito ergo sum
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 24, 2003
adsum
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]

exmike

NOR * CAL
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 19, 2003
Bay Area
Status
Fellow [Any Field]

Heal&Teach

cogito ergo sum
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 24, 2003
adsum
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Well, you could invest in it for the purpose of advising pre-medical students ;)

Less than $20 isn't a bad deal for this book.

exmike

NOR * CAL
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 19, 2003
Bay Area
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
Heal&Teach said:
Well, you could invest in it for the purpose of advising pre-medical students ;)

thats true!

Heal&Teach

cogito ergo sum
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 24, 2003
adsum
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]

Pinkertinkle

2003 Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 16, 2003
Status
Attending Physician
Dang that 8 dollar shipping for a book. Ah well, onto daddy's credit card it goes.

Heal&Teach

cogito ergo sum
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 24, 2003
adsum
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Pinkertinkle said:
Dang that 8 dollar shipping for a book. Ah well, onto daddy's credit card it goes.
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

It's all good pinkertinkle! just look at it this way: you spend less than $30 rather than more!

About the Ads