MSAR: 2006/2007 vs. 2005/2006

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jammin06

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm debating on whether to buy the new msar because I realized that the local library has the '05-'06 version. Does anyone know if there are any MAJOR changes between the two years? I'm guessing that the numbers will be more reflective of the most recent cycle, but does the '05-'06 also indicate which schools screen pre-secondary? Will they both probably have the same information regarding the med schools as well? Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

jammin06 said:
I'm debating on whether to buy the new msar because I realized that the local library has the '05-'06 version. Does anyone know if there are any MAJOR changes between the two years? I'm guessing that the numbers will be more reflective of the most recent cycle, but does the '05-'06 also indicate which schools screen pre-secondary? Will they both probably have the same information regarding the med schools as well? Thanks

The biggest addition to the 06-07 MSAR is the addition of MD/PhD statistics. How many matriculated from in- and out-of-state. Besides the updated stats on MCATs and GPA I dont' think there's much difference (besides the trends would not have changed that much in a year). I don't remember if the 05 MSAR says whether or not secondaries are sent to everyone or if they screen AMCAS, but I know that the 06-07 version lets you know who screens.

scneuro said:
The biggest addition to the 06-07 MSAR is the addition of MD/PhD statistics. How many matriculated from in- and out-of-state. Besides the updated stats on MCATs and GPA I dont' think there's much difference (besides the trends would not have changed that much in a year). I don't remember if the 05 MSAR says whether or not secondaries are sent to everyone or if they screen AMCAS, but I know that the 06-07 version lets you know who screens.

crap, i'd be nice to know the matriculation stats for out-of-state students, because I'll be applying as one of those to most of my schools. I might just try to go to the library and see what it says. Lucky for me, Hurricane Dennis caused such a ruckus here in alabama, they cancelled all the surgeries today and consequently gave me the day off. :love:

i ordered the new one even though i had the 05-06 and i'm really glad i did. i think the book is laid out way better now, and it's nice that they have the same information for all schools instead of whatever the schools chose to include as was the case in the 05-06. I especially like the new MCAT chart that showed the school's medians versus the national median and also included a range from lowest to highest score for all the students accepted. it kinda helps answer the debate we've been seeing on here as what the medians actually mean and how far above and below people are. it does hurt to see that some of the schools didn't accept anyone with less than a 9 in the sciences (wash u) but it's also nice to see some schools were taking people as low as 6s. plus, just having the information laid out so nicely makes it much easier to compare the schools and learn about them. even if you have the 05-06, i'd recommend the new one as well...in fact, i think based on some of the differing info they contain, they actually complement each other very nicely.