CodeRedDew

Thirst Quencher
7+ Year Member
Nov 13, 2011
Status
Medical Student
Is the small number of Filipino matriculants to medical schools due to less Filipino students applying than the other applicant population pool (source: MSAR)? I've noticed that some classes that are over 100+ students in size have less than 5 Filipino matriculants, sometimes even none. I am just curious as to why this is so? Maybe someone could propose a better/more valid reason than just the assumption that not that many Filipino students apply to medical school. I'm not sure whether I should just leave my ethnicity/race box empty on my AMCAS as I'm Filipino :p

Apr 27, 2012
Status
Pre-Medical
Is the small number of Filipino matriculants to medical schools due to less Filipino students applying than the other applicant population pool (source: MSAR)? I've noticed that some classes that are over 100+ students in size have less than 5 Filipino matriculants, sometimes even none. I am just curious as to why this is so? Maybe someone could propose a better/more valid reason than just the assumption that not that many Filipino students apply to medical school. I'm not sure whether I should just leave my ethnicity/race box empty on my AMCAS as I'm Filipino :p
I would list it. If you were Chinese-American or Korean-American without an obviously Asian-sounding surname then I would say leave it blank, but you're right -- there aren't many Filipino-Americans in the medical professions. I don't think it will necessarily give you a boost, but I don't think you'll get the Asian strike against you like some of the Chinese/Korean folks will (due to the massive overrepresentation).

CliveStaples

5+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
May 5, 2012
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Well Filipino Americans make up about 1.1% of the population in the U.S. so in a class of 100 I would expect only 1 (and so if you see classes that have 5, then that mean another 4 schools might not take any and that would still be okay).

I know a lot of this is also going to be based on location in the United States. I've lived on both the West Coast and in the South East, and I could count the number of times in one hand that I met a Filipino American in the South East, although I know that's certainly not the case in California. In the same way, I would expect medical schools to reflect that (you're more likely to matriculate at a school close to where you're from).

Plue00

10+ Year Member
Nov 10, 2007
Somewhere
Status
Pre-Medical
I don't think Filipinos are pushed into going into higher education as much as their Chinese/Korean/Indian/Bengali/Vietnamese counterparts. I'm from a city that has a ton of Filipino people (naval base) but at the college I'm at now (same state), there are hardly any. A lot of Filipinos from where I live go into the navy or into nursing. I've noticed that Filipino parents don't push their kids to be doctors/engineers like their other Asian counterparts and let them do whatever they want. My girlfriend, who is Filipino, has said all these things throughout the years. I think Filipinos do get some sort of affirmative action when they are entering college, but I don't know about medical schools.

Drrrrrr. Celty

Osteo Dullahan
7+ Year Member
Nov 10, 2009
Status
Medical Student
The stereotype is that they all go into nursing.

Last edited:

Morsetlis

I wish I were a dentist
7+ Year Member
Jan 22, 2010
The "Garden" State
Status
Resident [Any Field]
They all go into nursing, it's not a stereotype.

Lul.

OP
CodeRedDew

CodeRedDew

Thirst Quencher
7+ Year Member
Nov 13, 2011
Status
Medical Student
Come to think of it, all of my cousins, aunts, and uncles are nurses! lol

bigloley

SDN Lifetime Donor
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Apr 27, 2010
Status
Resident [Any Field]
50% of IMG nurses are filipino and there are tons of filipino IMG doctors (over 20,000). Hell, my pediatrician was filipino. Not really underrepresented because of IMG's

Arbor Vitae

The North remembers
Sep 25, 2011
The North
Status
Medical Student
They all go into nursing, it's not a stereotype.

Lul.
This is true. I'm a lab instructor for a human anatomy course which is a prereq for my school's nursing program, and the majority of students are filipino.

Apr 2, 2012
Status
Pre-Medical
It's very true that a lot of Filipinos are nurses. My dad is one. He was a doctor back in the Philippines but we moved, and yeah... I'm pretty sure it's because it's not hard to get a good paying job as a nurse, and it's also cheaper than going into medical school.

When it comes to being pushed by parents to become doctors, I think it's a case by case basis. My parents were both doctors in the Philippines and so they definitely push me to being a doctor.

For the most part, Filipino parents encourage their children to take on a profession that will give them a good stable income. That's why when I tell my dad that I might just get a PhD and become a college professor, he freaks out a little because the pay isn't really that good :D