MSAR purchase

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ilubse7en

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi, this is my first time visiting this place, but it seems it is pre-med haven
anyways, i want to purchase the MSAR, medical school admission requirements, but i don't know whether i should purchase the newly updated one, (expensive) or previous year one (cheap)
to my opinion MSAR does not change drastically in one year, but i wasn't sure
so if you think i could help me decide which one to purchase, it would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

anyways, i want to purchase the MSAR, medical school admission requirements, but i don't know whether i should purchase the newly updated one, (expensive) or previous year one (cheap)
to my opinion MSAR does not change drastically in one year, but i wasn't sure
so if you think i could help me decide which one to purchase, it would be appreciated.

I think you're better off with the most current version. It will have up-to-date admissions stats from the previous year, plus the correct names of the current admissions staff (this can change from year to year). Plus, if a school changes its requirements or deadlines from year to year, you could get into trouble if you're using an outdated version.

Since the new MSAR comes out in April, I would wait and buy that one rather than the version that's available right now.

I'd go with the new one, schools do update some info in the book and an applicant would look silly in an interview referencing info that's outdated, given the $28 or so price including shipping, it's worth it! Amazon.com I believe has this, when I bought it last time it was a few bucks cheaper than aamc.org

Members don't see this ad :)
^ Wow, so true. Definitely worth the investment.

As far as I know, there's also an Excel spreadsheet floating around of the most recent edition. I believe it was discussed in the past in a thread or two.

you could also check out the library in your area which may have a copy just to get familiar with the format/schools, and whatnot. I am waiting for the April release of 2010-2011 but am using the current one for now at the library.

Some pre-med offices also keep a copy on hand for you to look through.

Our school has it in the reference section. I was also confused about editions. I guess 09-10 will not be the one the prospective class of 2014 will need but 2010-11. Which I understand comes out in April.

how is $25 "expensive"? that's less than the cost of sending only a primary app to one extra school! definitely get the new one when it comes out in april...getting the old one would be a waste of money.

Save your money and go to a library/book store with the latest MSAR and look at it without buying. Read through it and be done with it after choosing where to apply.

it some times comes in handy before an interview or when writing about why you want to go to a particular school. seriously, it's only 25 bucks...not a big deal