MSAR verified applications vs. secondaries received

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

webster601

2+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys I was just wondering what the MSAR means when it says a school had x number of verified applications. Is that the total number of verified primary applications or the number of complete secondaries they received? Also, is there a place to find out how many people were accepted to a given school rather than the number that matriculated? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Don't have a source, but I recall hearing that "x applications" in the MSAR refers to submitted primaries not the number of completed secondaries

US News reports an acceptance rate per medical school, you can calculate number accepted by multiplying this value with the number of applicants listed in the MSAR.

Since schools can and do reject people pre-secondary all the time it would pretty much have to be primaries received in order to keep it standard.

I believe the number of verified applicants refers to applicants that submitted a primary AMCAS application to a particularly school and not the number of completed secondaries the school received.

There's also a distinction between the number of secondaries a medical school sends out versus the number of completed secondaries received because not all students submit the secondary.