1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

MSBS, grad low GPA and low MCAT

Discussion in 'Nontraditional Students' started by Drhpful, May 28, 2018.

1. Drhpful

This time last year I graduated from the first class of a Master’s of Science in Biomedical Science program. My goal was to attend the medical school where I earned my degree, despite my best effort that did not happen. I have taken the MCAT five times and even though I use the traditional methods of preparation I have not been able to score above a 490. My GPA is 3.2. I have been trying to get into medical school now for about 4 years and I have not been successful. I’m working on a clinical trial and I am grateful for the experience I just know that it’s not my career. If anyone could shine a light on what they have done in similar situations or if someone can give me practicle advice on next steps or other potential career fields that would be greatly appreciated. I want to ensure I am doing everything in power to be successful.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Goro

Faculty 7+ Year Member

Non-Student
    Suggest:
    Teaching
    Clinical lab tech
    Research tech or lab mgr
    Allied health professions
    Clinical trials mgt

4. Drhpful

thank you at Goro, I am actually already a clinical trial research associate

5. Johnrawlsneuro

Have you considered being a PA or NP? You’d be a valued and trained clinician with lower barrier of entry programs.

Drhpful likes this.
  6. Banker2MD

Pre-Medical
    I’m sorry you can overcome a low GPA or a low MCAT, heck sometimes even both can be less than stellar and still net you an admission particularly from schools that look at the two as a “safety gauge”. A 490 suggests a lack of content knowledge and taking it five times is not a good look. I wouldn’t take it again unless you had an AAMC FL taken under timed conditions that was >505. It also may be that an MD/DO just isn’t in the cards.

How have you reviewed? I was very passive in my initial review and the material didn’t stick. I found flash cards and integrating UWorld practice questions helped a great deal.

7. Drhpful

Thanks for answering my question. I have created a schedule where I was covering material a subject area from a review book then practicing that material each day. Each week I would take a full length exam. This last time I focused on the verbal section with more intensity. I reviewed the other sections as well but I focused on becoming a better test taker.

8. smukke

Resident [Any Field]
    With that many low MCATs and unsuccessful applications I think it might be best to take a few years off. Even if you get a good MCAT now as soon as they see the rest of them it's going to look like a fluke.

Stop taking the MCAT and reapplying for now. Make a 5 year plan. Take 2-3 years and focus on the career that you have. Look into project management or clinical trials management if you are ok with continuing in that field, consider other health fields (NP/PA/CRNA etc) if something more clinical and consider if an accelerated BSN would be beneficial if you go that route. In the mean time take a couple classes to boost the GPA, some volunteer work that you can do consistently long term (even 4hrs/month adds up and looks great over years), and keep studying 30min-1hr a day (might be beneficial to go back to the basics and review stuff via Khan academy etc).

Drhpful likes this.
  9. Drhpful

Thank you for your advice. I appreciate it.

10. B4y 4RE4 N4Tiv3

2+ Year Member

Medical Student (Accepted)
    I'm curious are you URM and disadvantaged and what state do you reside in? On a positive note you still have 2 more times to take the MCAT so you have 2 shots.

11. Drhpful

Hi I am a URM and I live in Virginia

12. Dominique8604

7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Have you applied to osteopathic schools as Well?

13. Forever Geebs

Pre-Medical
    Five official attempts at the MCAT and you've not scored above a 490? I'm never one to throw in the towel, but ... it may be time to consider an alternative route (career path).

Best of luck to you.

14. Dominique8604

7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    You say that you'e been trying to get in med school for four years. Do not feel bad. I know several people who have been at this 7, 8, 9, 10 years. If medicine is what you want to do, do not give up. A 3.2 grad GPA isn't horrible. It could be better, but it could be way worse. What you need to do at this point is seek help from a few different med school advisors and see what they say. They will probably tell you to retake the mcat. However, you are going to need to change your approach this time around and not take it until you are scoring well on the practice exams. Don't listen to people when they tell you to give up, seek help to find out how you can strengthen your credentials (and not from negative people on sdn telling you to give up who aren't even medical school advisors). If medicine is what you want to do, don't give up. Fight for it.

Drhpful likes this.
  15. AlbinoHawk DO

AlbinoHawk DO PeeGeeWai Osteopath
    5+ Year Member

Non-Student
    There is no pretty way to see this, but the truth is that going to medical school is not in your cards. Unfortunately, it's both the MCAT and GPA that hold you back. I would strongly advise against pursuing this further and see if there is a way to do RN-to-NP

16. Dominique8604

7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical