MA/MS MSc from foreign graduate school - useless for state counseling license?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.


New Member
Sep 7, 2016
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.
I'm considering an MSc in Counselling Psychology program in the United Kingdom, specifically at the University of Keele. My current goal is to be a Licensed Professional Counselor Associate in the state of North Carolina. NC's LPCA requirements are pretty clear and it'd be easy for me to verify a US program (especially CACREP accredited) against them but it's much tougher for foreign degrees. The program constitutes 195 UK credit hours but I'm unsure how this translates to US semester/quarter hours (of which your masters needs to be 60 minimum in NC).

Is anyone experienced with counseling licensure from overseas institutions? I know there exists some sort of system for foreign degree documentation/verification with my state's board but it's not hugely detailed other than "send the documents."

I've reached out to the NC Board of Licensed Professional Counselors and the University of Keele but in the meantime I thought I'd ask here. Thanks!