MSc vs. MPH in Epidemiology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cutiepie83

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I haven't been on here for quite a while, I've been working like a madwoman :sleep: .

I have a question. What is truly the difference between MSc and MPH? I have been accepted to a very good school in Canada (very close to home) for an MSc in Epidemiology and also have received acceptances for various MPH programs in the US. I do understand that MSc is geared towards academia, but I do have the opportunity to work in a Cancer Centre (which is what I really want to do) that is associated with the school.

I guess my question is, what can you do with a MPH that you cannot do with a MSc in Epidemiology and vice versa?

P.S. Tuition in the MPH programs is more than twice the tuition I would have to pay in Canada.

P.S.S. I dont plan to get an MD..I plan on working straight from my masters and hopefully get my PhD one day

Thank you :D

Members don't see this ad.

Much of a difference? Probably not.

I think the differences vary depending on which school's MPH you compare to which school's MSc. There may be a difference in the thesis/masters project type of thing. From what I can tell, MPHs tend to require a "masters project" which includes some sort of practical field work where the MS tends to require a thesis. Schools that only offer the MS/MSc (do most Canadian schools do this?) may gear them more like MPH programs anyway. Other than that, I really doubt there's much of a difference. As long as the program you want can teach you what you want to learn, will help you get to your next step (job, PhD, whatever), and will provide a comfortable environment for your learning and living, you're set.

I'm not aware of anything you can't do with an MSc that you can with an MPH. I thought even the more picky jobs would require "MPH or equivilent" (though don't take my word for it; I'm a perpetual student). There may be some ASPH internships you can't do from a Canadian school (duh).