Other Master's Degree MScIH master of science in international health

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Casper91

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I am a recent dentistry graduate from Syria, and I am planning to apply to a Master of Science in International Health in Germany at either school of Heidelberg or Charite.

Since I know little about what I am really getting myself into, and I have no experience, I thought to share some of my thoughts and concerns with you perhaps you could help me with an opinion or advice.

-I want to be able to combine my dental education in some way with this degree and to actually use it. I do not want to lose my years of study in dentistry with my clinical skills. I think the way to this is that I can make my future research or work in dental care (?) or even to still keep my clinical skills working for me somehow. I don't know if this is possible and I am worried about it the most.

-I want this degree to make me employable by international health organizations such as (WHO, doctors without borders.. ICRC..and so on..) and I wonder if this degree can actually help raise my chances or not? And if no, what is it actually I need to add to my bachelor degree in dentistry to be able to work in such organizations (setting clinical camps in remote areas, working with populations, helping health authorities in implementing health programs and determining health needs and so on and on...)

Members don't see this ad.

Hello everyone,

I am a recent dentistry graduate from Syria, and I am planning to apply to a Master of Science in International Health in Germany at either school of Heidelberg or Charite.

Since I know little about what I am really getting myself into, and I have no experience, I thought to share some of my thoughts and concerns with you perhaps you could help me with an opinion or advice.

-I want to be able to combine my dental education in some way with this degree and to actually use it. I do not want to lose my years of study in dentistry with my clinical skills. I think the way to this is that I can make my future research or work in dental care (?) or even to still keep my clinical skills working for me somehow. I don't know if this is possible and I am worried about it the most.

-I want this degree to make me employable by international health organizations such as (WHO, doctors without borders.. ICRC..and so on..) and I wonder if this degree can actually help raise my chances or not? And if no, what is it actually I need to add to my bachelor degree in dentistry to be able to work in such organizations (setting clinical camps in remote areas, working with populations, helping health authorities in implementing health programs and determining health needs and so on and on...)
اهلاً! I've also looked at some schools in Germany but I decided that I want to do a 2-year program instead.
I currently work in a regional public health NGO based out of Amman so I feel like I might be able to give you some advice. I only have a bachelor's but I plan to get my MPH in the next few years. From my perspective, I think this degree sounds like a great idea for you. Most of my co-workers got medical degrees first and then went on to do some sort of community medicine degree. Studying international health would be very relevant for work in those organizations and having a specialty like dentistry helps you stand out. Working in a big organization like those requires knowledge beyond just the medical. Most of that knowledge you can get on-the-job, but getting the MScIH would really help your CV stand out.

Reactions: 1 users