MSI BOOKS/comp 2005

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Z28

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone determined which books we really need?

Members don't see this ad.

If you folks are as lucky as we are here in DMU-COMS, you'd be able to ask the bookstore workers to find out the real deal. We have a great staff at our bookstore that tells us the real books we need....

May I suggest you find out from your local bookstore, or even ask your profs what exactly you need....

Otherwise, I'm bumpin' this up for other COMP students to answer.... You may want to post this same message in the COMP thread.... Good luck to you this year.

Z28,

I used the following during the core:

Anatomy: Netters, Color Atlas, Clinically Oriented Anatomy (sometimes, but for some reason Younosai loves that book)
Biochem: Lippincott's Biochem (blue book)
Histo: Color Atlas of Histo (red book)
Micro: Micro made ridculuously simple
Path: That big path book, can't remember the name
Pharm: Lippincotts Pharm (red book)
Physio: None
OMM: none

I can't think of the other classes, let me know if I left any out. Your notes are going to be sufficient enough for your classes. Also, the 2nd years are working on that "document" for the MS-1's. I proofed it and it looks real good.. (I wish I had it my first year). So hang tight, your assigned mentor is supposed to meet up with you this week. And you're going to have all the tools to succeed your first year.

-Eric

Members don't see this ad :)
Z28,

I used the following during the core:

Anatomy: Netters, Color Atlas, Clinically Oriented Anatomy (sometimes, but for some reason Younosai loves that book)
Biochem: Lippincott's Biochem (blue book)
Histo: Color Atlas of Histo (red book)
Micro: Micro made ridculuously simple
Path: That big path book, can't remember the name
Pharm: Lippincotts Pharm (red book)
Physio: None
OMM: none

I can't think of the other classes, let me know if I left any out. Your notes are going to be sufficient enough for your classes. Also, the 2nd years are working on that "document" for the MS-1's. I proofed it and it looks real good.. (I wish I had it my first year). So hang tight, your assigned mentor is supposed to meet up with you this week. And you're going to have all the tools to succeed your first year.

-Eric

I agree with Eric as far as the pharm, micro, and biochem books go. Let me also add that I used BRS Path (red book by Szanto or something like that). If you really like anatomy, the dead body book (the author has a japanese name) is really good, as is Moore, and of course you need netter. don't buy the grant's dissector, it's useless. I recommend getting a board review book in each area (except anatomy) and begin using them as soon as school starts. If I had it to do over again, the only textbooks I would have bought are the anatomy ones and Robbins. Save your money for a Harrisons, and a few select books during systems, like the renal phys, Dubins, and maybe the cardiac phys books. Use the board review books to figure out what's really important to know, then supplement that info with some esoteric crap that you know is going to be tested from the notes. The fact is that there is a lot of stuff taught in the first two years that is not important clinically. It is more important to know the basics, which are usually presented in the review books. If you can master those, you won't have any trouble on step I of the comlex or on rotations.

Good luck...it's a long two years but it gets better, trust me!

just a suggestion from a ms2 at msu :
i liked high yield for pharm, but its just that, high yield.
neuroanatomy, definitely high yield!!!!!!
i dont care for "ridiculously simple" because many have mistakes and they assume you already know the basics, so if you do then they may be helpful.
pathology: kumar's pathologic basis for disease is awesome!!!
anatomy: all you need is netter. really!
biochem, i used lippinncott, but it goes into alot of needless detail, and comlex is more clinical than usmle, so you wont need to study lippincott biochem from cover to cover anyways.

like i said, when it comes for boards, high yield is my choice cuz it does not mess around, gives you the meat and potatoes as far as what you need to know.

its all personal choice but hope that helps someone. :p