Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

MSK Medicine at MD Schools

Discussion in 'Medical Students - DO' started by drusso, Apr 29, 2007.

1. drusso

Physician Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Interesting article in this month's Academic Medicine. I wonder what the results would be if the survey was conducted at DO schools?

Musculoskeletal Medicine: An Assessment of the Attitudes and Knowledge of Medical Students at Harvard Medical School.

Academic Medicine. 82(5):452-457, May 2007.
    Day, Charles S. MD; Yeh, Albert C.; Franko, Orrin; Ramirez, Miguel; Krupat, Edward PhD

Abstract:
    Purpose: To assess medical students' knowledge and clinical confidence in musculoskeletal medicine as well as their attitudes toward the education they receive in this specialty.

Method: A cross-sectional survey of students in all four years of Harvard Medical School was conducted during the 2005-2006 academic year. Participants were asked to fill out a 30-question survey and a nationally validated basic competency exam in musculoskeletal medicine.

Results: The response rate was 74% (449/608). Medical students rated musculoskeletal education to be of major importance (3.8/5) but rated the amount of curriculum time spent on musculoskeletal medicine as poor (2.1/5). Third-year students felt a low to adequate level of confidence in performing a musculoskeletal physical examination (2.7/5) and failed to demonstrate cognitive mastery in musculoskeletal medicine (passing rate on competency exam: 7%), whereas fourth-year students reported a similar level of confidence (2.7/5) and exhibited a higher passing rate (26%). Increasing exposure to the subject by taking clinical electives resulted in greater clinical confidence and enhanced performance on the exam (P < .001). Students' feedback suggested that musculoskeletal education can be better integrated into the preclinical curriculum, more time should be spent in the field, and more focus should be placed on common clinical conditions.

Conclusions: These findings, which are consistent with those from other schools, suggest that medical students do not feel adequately prepared in musculoskeletal medicine and lack both clinical confidence and cognitive mastery in the field. Implementing a four-year integrated musculoskeletal curriculum is one way that medical schools can address this concern.

(C) 2007 Association of American Medical Colleges

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. DOctorJay

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    "four-year integrated musculoskeletal curriculum"

sounds like OPP!

4. polynikesdb

2+ Year Member

x

#3 polynikesdb, Apr 29, 2007
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2010
  5. DO Sigma Nu guy

DO Sigma Nu guy Wannabe Poker Player
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    "you know me"

-I had to do it

6. HarveyCushing

7+ Year Member

Thanks for the article. I really enjoyed reading it. :thumbup:

7. mitawa

mitawa Member
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    For shame!:lol: :lol:

Seriously they need to enroll in our OPP classes.

8. Taus

Taus .
    Moderator 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Tired, you would be surprised at whats included in our OPP curriculum. As a second year student I have already learned how to do most of the major orthopedic tests. As we learn how to use manual medicine for all the different areas of the body we also learn how to diagnose and rule out major pathology.....and except for maybe intersegmentally on the spine....the tests are the standard ortho and range of motion tests.

You might also be surprised at how many lectures we have had specifically on back pain, disk herniations, carpal tunnel, standard of care for that stuff (beyond just manual medicine), indications for surgery, etc etc...

If that just sounds like "OPP" and not musculoskeletal medicine.....then feel free to correct me.

9. dctrgreen

dctrgreen Junior Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical

10. mitawa

mitawa Member
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Go to Harvard's Medicine School
    http://cme.hms.harvard.edu/index.asp?SECTION=SEARCH&SEARCHTYPE=TOPIC
    "Introduction to Osteopathic Manipulative Treatment " is offered as a CME course, so if they have no respect for it then why offer it as a curriculum option?!

I care not for the my way is better than yours mentality, nor the general statements that from individuals seeking to represent an entire profession. Peace & Prosperity!;)

11. mitawa

mitawa Member
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    So Bitter.... Tis a shame!:(

I do not remember ever being confused on the topic, and you stated that MD schools had not interest, respect yada yada ... in OMT. I simply pointed out that an MD school does provide it as an option for CME (so clearly some respect or recognition is shown). This is not to say that it is included in your current curriculum.

Does that clarify my statement for you?

Relax, Relate, Release...

12. mitawa

mitawa Member
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    "They All laughed at Christopher Columbus
    When he said the world was round
    They All laughed when Edison recorded sound

They All laughed at Wilbur and his brother
    When they said man could fly
    They told Marconi, wireless was a phony
    It's the same old cry

They All laughed at Rockefeller Center
    Now they're fighting to get in
    They All laughed at Whitney and his cotton gin"

IMHO peoples individual opinions are just that. If someone told you that ortho sucked, I can't imagine that you'd toss in the towel and go for what the majority liked best. So in the end to each his own, what may not float your boat today could be the next thing tomorrow!;)

13. mitawa

mitawa Member
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student

Now let me explain... Our OPP course is OPP/OMT which is a nice way of saying its a kazillion hours of review the musculoskeletal system, which is why I made commented that they should take it. For me personally I consider OMT a handy tool/course, and personally its due to that course. Ergos the relevance. It is not that you have to prescribe to the Osteopathic Principles portion of the course, not researching the osteopathic way, etc.. Unlike Riker, I have no interest in participating in purposely propagated thread wars. If my comments warrant clarification, then I do not mind doing so if the manner in which I am addressed is respectful. So as to your original assumption I am far from a hippie (though I do love incense and peppermints), and as I said I don't usually respond to individuals who follow Riker's usual M.O. so the discussion would indeed be extremely short-lived.

Opinions/comments are relative, respectfully engage me regarding mine and I will certainly return the favor!

:D

14. NPEMTIV

NPEMTIV Accidentally Accepted
    Moderator Emeritus SDN Advisor 10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    :lol::lol::lol::lol:

15. It'sElectric

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Hahaha....a quick retort of "Hippie" always works in my honest opinion. God, I love that word.

Anyways, just to briefly chime in.....Tired, I understand you don't know a great deal amount about OMM/OMT, nor do you probably care to learn anything about it at this point. That being said, I must say that what Taus said earlier in the thread is 100% correct. We're not sitting in class learning about mystical diagnoses and treatments all day long. Not only are we constantly review musculoskeletal techniques used by physicians all across the board, but we're getting a pretty solid review of Anatomy each week.

In order to quit wasting your time, I'll get to the point. If Harvard implemented a 4 year MSK program into their curriculum, I would be willing to bet that they would contact a number of DO schools to obtain a model. Obviously cranial would be cut out and a few other minor areas, but the large idea would still be there.

I just hope they at least give the osteopathic world a little bit of credit as opposed to developing a curriculum and then pretending like it was some revolutionary new idea, just because they're Harvard.

Anyways, I'll butt out now.

Down with Hippies.

16. It'sElectric

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    It'll be interesting to see what happens over the next 5 years or so, because it's apparent that many schools are ignoring a rather vital part of medicine.