MSKCC summer fellowship 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I hope you're the exception, but all my classmates were denied in the span of a couple days. I imagine it has something to do with when the project receives word from the 'chosen one.'

I contacted my old department manager at MSKCC and told them I didn't get the fellowship and they were surprised to say the least. While completely arbitrary and purely conjecture, my manager thought it had something to do with having 'too much experience' for the project; the project PI wouldn't be meeting the goals of the fellowship by training someone who already has industry experience with the work. The Fellowship is intended to train a relatively bright, but naive student (one who hasn't had a terrible amount of experience with the specific project) to give them a 'taste' of translational medicine. For those who had near identical experience and training with their selected projects and were not selected for the Fellowship, it might have come down to idea of: why train someone who has already been trained? It would not serve the educational goals of the PI and program. Honestly, it sucks for those who applied with applicable experience and could hit the ground running.

I guess I won't be in the city this summer.
Sorry to burst your bubble dude, but that was the precise reason why I got my spot here, so I was told -- having extensive experience in the field of the lab I applied to so that they can get the most out of the 8 weeks, instead of spending precious time training someone. Summer programs between M1 and M2 are competitive, and inherently all qualified students (with previous research experience, multiple publications etc) who apply cannot all get a spot. People with applicable experiences should definitely apply here, in fact I think it is a major advantage. Ultimately, it all comes down to the specific lab, the project, and a little bit a luck. Had to throw my 2 cents in for those who might look at this thread next year when applying.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone know how common it is for a publication to come out of the work during this fellowship? Have many folks continued working with their mentors after the summer?

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know how common it is for a publication to come out of the work during this fellowship? Have many folks continued working with their mentors after the summer?
Pretty sure it depends on your group. Some of the project descriptions had a brief mention of how their students had their work published/went to conference/ended up in that specialty down the road.

anyone accepted here? I was thinking of starting a fb group to connect before this summer! :)

I applied and haven't heard yet - but i'm assuming that they've filled all position so only depends if someone declines an offer. I am still hoping but my expectations are low