MSN in Public Health Nursing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chrish0204

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So as I make my way through nursing school, I am realizing that the setting I am drawn to the most is public health. I am in a second-degree MSN program (CNL track) but I could potentially transfer to another program. I do plan on getting an MPH at some point in the future as this seems to be the best thing for nurses that really interested in a long career in PH.

My question for you forum-dwellers is if you have any knowledge or experience with nurses trained in Master's level public health nursing programs?

1) Is this ever required for a job? I suspect the answer is no, but...
2) Does it offer tangible skills that would make me a better public health nurse (regardless of whether it is necessarily going to get me more pay and a better title)? Or is it just a gimmick that universities trick people into doing? A little of both?

I realize that this might be better answered in a nursing forum but I wanted to see what people with some experience with public health thought as well.

Members don't see this ad.

I'd also be interested in knowing. I am in a similar situation. Just fininshing my second bachelor degree in nursing (previous degree in Sociology) and very much drawn to public health.

Hello!
I'm a current BSN working in two rural public health offices. I can say that the other nurses who work in my state health dept. who provide direct patient care (STD, TB, family planning, harm reduction, and immunizations) and/or do community- based epi investigations are all BSN's. The nurses who do program management have MSN's. Some of the patient care nurses are FNP's or nurse midwives for family planning.

That said, I also plan on pursuing a MPH in the future because I'm interested and curious and may take on some program management. I don't know that it will have a huge impact on my career in "bed-side" nursing.

Nurses act in a crucial role in the public health system. Don't let nursing school tell you that you must have hospital experience (I have none), or that the primary setting for public health nurses is in the schools (although this is one option), or that only physicians can be effective public health practitioners (my physician colleagues will agree that we all have an important part to play).

One of my favorite things about nursing is the flexibility and variety of careers one can have within nursing. Do what interests you, and when you get sick of it, make a change. Happy Nurses' Week, everyone!