MSPE Error

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PhakeDoc

Mudder Phudder
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, in any human endeavor, mistakes will happen. My Dean's office made a rather glaring error - incorrectly reported my GPA as being lower by a SIGNIFICANT amount in the next-to-last summary paragraph, even though the catchword in the last sentence was "correct". They uploaded a corrected version to ERAS today, but my question is - will programs automatically be prompted to download it since they've already downloaded the incorrect one? If not, why would they even expect to download another copy, i.e., how do they know another copy is available since everything else in my application had already been sent and as far as they know now, my application was "complete".

Sorry, but as you can guess, I'm kinda flipping out yet outwardly attempting to maintain my cool. While this was an honest mistake (no use getting mad at anyone since it certainly wasn't intentional), I just hope it doesn't have any big ramifications, i.e., I'm waiting on hearing from quite a few prelim medicine places this week.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

yes, the new version will automatically be downloaded the next time they contact the post office, which most programs do daily or every few days. You can track this on MyERAS -- anyone who does not download it in the first 72 hours or so you could contact.

When it is downloaded, it will be flagged for printing and will replace the prior version electronically (for those programs who do not print things).

Ah, so they'll see new material just by logging in to the Post Office, not by having to actually go to each applicant (which I guess would be a crappy system! :laugh: ).

So about half of the programs I can see by tracking have downloaded the new one. I just hope that the ones who had downloaded the incorrect copy (waiting to hear from quite a few prelim medicine) haven't already put me in a "discard" bin, i.e., the damage is done regardless of what the real letter says.

Thanks for answering!

Well, they have your transcript anyway, right, so wouldn't they get your gpa for their lists/calculations or whatever from that? I was thinking programs mainly used the mspe to look at class rank and the comments from rotations.

I need to revive this thread because I'm in a similar situation! Like the original poster, I am also trying to maintain my cool lol. Of course we can no longer see who has or hasn't downloaded our applications either. My school apparently made "a clerical error" as they put it and accidentally checked the "yes" box where the form asks if I'd ever been put on academic freaking probation of all things. I literally don't know how they caught the error after the fact (it's been 4 -5 days since made available to programs), but they emailed me today and told me about what had happened and that a new one had been uploaded to ERAS. Obviously that doesn't fix the problem completely, though.

Guys what in the world can I possibly do on my end and what should I ask that the school does on theirs? So far, I've just got a letter from my registrar that they said to take to my scheduled interviews. It states that it was their fault and not mine and that they've checked with each department and it in fact was a clerical error. I've also apparently been an exemplary student and nothing but a great role model lol.

Any advice for this mess would be very very very much appreciated. Thanks guys.

I need to revive this thread because I'm in a similar situation! Like the original poster, I am also trying to maintain my cool lol. Of course we can no longer see who has or hasn't downloaded our applications either. My school apparently made "a clerical error" as they put it and accidentally checked the "yes" box where the form asks if I'd ever been put on academic freaking probation of all things. I literally don't know how they caught the error after the fact (it's been 4 -5 days since made available to programs), but they emailed me today and told me about what had happened and that a new one had been uploaded to ERAS. Obviously that doesn't fix the problem completely, though.

Guys what in the world can I possibly do on my end and what should I ask that the school does on theirs? So far, I've just got a letter from my registrar that they said to take to my scheduled interviews. It states that it was their fault and not mine and that they've checked with each department and it in fact was a clerical error. I've also apparently been an exemplary student and nothing but a great role model lol.

This might be overkill, but I think it would be understandable if you simply scan that letter and email it to the programs you applied to. Yes, programs don't want to get bugged unnecessarily, but that's a pretty significant oversight in your application. You don't want to be left wondering in the future what impact this had on your application.

Basically, this isn't a situation where you're bugging the PC on the "status of your application," you're correcting a glaring mistake that wasn't your fault. By all means, contact programs to make sure they have an accurate picture of your application.

The most helpful thing would be fore the school to send an email to the programs you applied to letting them know of the error, just in case they already looked at the incorrect MSPE. If your school won't take the trouble to do that, you probably need to (attach the letter the registrar gave you so programs know for sure it's legit). Good luck!

@GoSpursGo @mcl thank you so much for the advice. I surely will email each program a copy of the letter. Do you think that it would be best to try and send it directly to the various program directors or should I instead only contact the Residency coordinators? Or do you think that I should send it in the actual mail? Sorry for the dumb questions, but I just don't want to make anything worse than it already is, ya know?

Thanks again to both of you!

@GoSpursGo @mcl thank you so much for the advice. I surely will email each program a copy of the letter. Do you think that it would be best to try and send it directly to the various program directors or should I instead only contact the Residency coordinators? Or do you think that I should send it in the actual mail? Sorry for the dumb questions, but I just don't want to make anything worse than it already is, ya know?

Thanks again to both of you!
Email the PC. You want this corrected ASAP, and the coordinator would probably get your application fixed more expediently.