MSPE red flags, how does it affect my chances in residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

badskittles

Membership Revoked
Removed
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there,

I am currently heading into my MS3 year, but I am concerned about not matching in the future. I've had two preclinical remediations which will be noted on my MSPE. In addition, my school required me to delay my first rotation due to scoring low on the practice NBME but I was able to successfully pass after the delay. This delay will also be noted on the MSPE. My heart is set on psychiatry, but I came to realize that I need to work harder as this field is getting more and more competitive. How bad would it look to PDs when they see a MSPE such as mine? Thank you for your time.

Members don't see this ad.

It will depend on all the other factors in your application. Focus on doing your best in clinicals and Step 2.

Reactions: 1 user
Well, it's not going to be great, but as noted by the other response, it will really depend on the overall strength of your application. If these "red flags" are truly anomalous and your application is otherwise strong, I doubt it will have a significant impact, though you'll likely have a tough time at very competitive programs. If the "red flags" are simply two more data points in a trend of less-than-optimal performance, you're probably going to have some difficulty.

You should find a local mentor/advisor to get some more specific feedback.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
N = 1. But someone at my school failed step 1, remediated two courses, and matched psychiatry on the E coast this year at a mid-tier program. Contrary to popular belief (and as a tutor at my school), many medical students have to remediate courses (unfortunately, school policy varies in reporting). I think it has become more common as students ditch coursework for Anki.

I also think it's really odd that your school is reporting a low practice NBME with rotation delay...with COVID, my school allowed students to take step 1 into their third rotation. A practice exam is exactly that: practice. Perhaps talk to someone about this?

Keep your head up and focus on clinical performance and step 2. Be friendly, be available, and be approachable...do that, and you're off to a great start. Improvement is always a strength, as it shows a capacity for reflection and change.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 5 users
These preclinical things matter much less than many other factors. You passed step 1 the first time, hopefully getting a respectable score. What matters far more on the MSPE - and in general - are going to be your evaluations for your rotations moving forward.

It will depend on all the other factors in your application. Focus on doing your best in clinicals and Step 2.
Well, it's not going to be great, but as noted by the other response, it will really depend on the overall strength of your application. If these "red flags" are truly anomalous and your application is otherwise strong, I doubt it will have a significant impact, though you'll likely have a tough time at very competitive programs. If the "red flags" are simply two more data points in a trend of less-than-optimal performance, you're probably going to have some difficulty.

You should find a local mentor/advisor to get some more specific feedback.
N = 1. But someone at my school failed step 1, remediated two courses, and matched psychiatry on the E coast this year at a mid-tier program. Contrary to popular belief (and as a tutor at my school), many medical students have to remediate courses (unfortunately, school policy varies in reporting). I think it has become more common as students ditch coursework for Anki.

I also think it's really odd that your school is reporting a low practice NBME with rotation delay...with COVID, my school allowed students to take step 1 into their third rotation. A practice exam is exactly that: practice. Perhaps talk to someone about this?

Keep your head up and focus on clinical performance and step 2. Be friendly, be available, and be approachable...do that, and you're off to a great start. Improvement is always a strength, as it shows a capacity for reflection and change.
These preclinical things matter much less than many other factors. You passed step 1 the first time, hopefully getting a respectable score. What matters far more on the MSPE - and in general - are going to be your evaluations for your rotations moving forward.

Thank you everyone for your input! I got caught up in negative thinking but your comments made me realize how important it is to continue forward and nail clinicals!

• Care
  • Love
I would talk to your Dean about reporting the delay in rotations for Step 1 in the dean's letter. It seems unnecessarily punitive for a delay they themselves forced you to take even before you sat for step... Look on the internet long enough and you'll see many failed early CBSE to 230+ Step 1 journeys, so idk what your school thinks they're doing right

I was concerned about failing a block because of an emergent family issue and spoke to my Dean about remediation. Fortunately I passed, but my understanding from her was that one or two reports in the MSPE wasn't that big of a deal unless you were gunning for something very competitive.

Wish you luck!!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user