MSSM c/o 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CADreaming06

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
didn't see one so i thought i would start it. is there a second look weekend for mssm?

Members don't see this ad.

They said there would be one (I think in April) at my interview. It's one of my top choices so we'll see in 4-6 weeks... =)

Last year the second look was the first weekend in May.

Members don't see this ad :)
They sent a package with I think drug test forms etc. Anyone know when we have to do those? Anyone took care of that yet?

Yeah I have already done the drug test and sent in all of the forms. They did not set a date on when it had to be completed, but I got the impression that they would expect it sooner rather than later.

I probably didn't read it very closely but do they tell you where it has to be done or what?

Figure I might as well start up the controversy now... NYU is sooooooo much better than MSSM :smuggrin: Just kidding hope to see you guys around the city next year!

princessd3 said:
I probably didn't read it very closely but do they tell you where it has to be done or what?

It has to be done through Qwest Diagnotics.

On another note, my wife and I went back up to NYC to see the school again. We met with Kelli Bailey, attended a second year lecture, and had lunch and dinner with two different married couples. Of all the schools that I have been too, Sinai students are the most laid back. Not to mention that the lecture was amazing and surprisingly funny.

BigMAC said:
Yeah I have already done the drug test and sent in all of the forms. They did not set a date on when it had to be completed, but I got the impression that they would expect it sooner rather than later.

Hmm, I haven't done that yet - . . I'm assuming if there was a hard deadline they will give it to us.

CADreaming06 said:
Hmm, I haven't done that yet - . . I'm assuming if there was a hard deadline they will give it to us.

I called when I got it, and they said it can be done up to two weeks before classes start at our convenience. Sinai is one of my top choices, and I too will know for sure in about 6 weeks :)

greendot said:
I called when I got it, and they said it can be done up to two weeks before classes start at our convenience. Sinai is one of my top choices, and I too will know for sure in about 6 weeks :)

thanks greendot

Has anyone received any of the financial aid or housing type info from Sinai? In our acceptance letters they said it would be coming shortly, and I am starting to get antsy.

BigMAC said:
Has anyone received any of the financial aid or housing type info from Sinai? In our acceptance letters they said it would be coming shortly, and I am starting to get antsy.

Nope, nothing here. Also, they said there would be a website for us. Wonder what happened to that?

Members don't see this ad :)
Princessd3, I've noticed your posts here and was wondering if you'd decided not to go to umich? I'd love to hear your reasons for why you're still attached to sinai (I haven't heard back from sinai yet, but I will have to make a hard decision if I do). (btw, best of luck w/ HMS!)

geekOCD said:
Princessd3, I've noticed your posts here and was wondering if you'd decided not to go to umich? I'd love to hear your reasons for why you're still attached to sinai (I haven't heard back from sinai yet, but I will have to make a hard decision if I do). (btw, best of luck w/ HMS!)

Well I am still leaning towards UMich but I think Sinai is a great school (That Marchand Center? is really nice). Anyway, I don't want to burn any bridges right now. Just letting things play out and then make final decisions somewher down the line.

I see that last year's second look was in May. Does anyone know when we'll get some info on it for sure? Also, how many people here are sure they'll be at MSSM next year?

Hey Greendot (or anyone else), y'all have to let us (okay,okay, ME *grin*) know when you get that acceptance email from sinai. I hate that there's no way to know (besides sdn) if you're waitlisted/rejected or if they just haven't sent out the emails yet.

geekOCD said:
Hey Greendot (or anyone else), y'all have to let us (okay,okay, ME *grin*) know when you get that acceptance email from sinai. I hate that there's no way to know (besides sdn) if you're waitlisted/rejected or if they just haven't sent out the emails yet.

Hey OCD,
I was actually accepted at Sinai already. I was wondering when Second Look weekend info will be available. Anyway, Best of luck to you!

At this point, I am wondering when any info will be available. Everyone still waiting for the enrollment website they were supposed to send to us?

Sorry greendot, looking back over old posts I see that I misinterpreted you when you said earlier in this thread that you were also waiting for 6 weeks (I assume now that was to hear from a diff. school?). I assumed you were like me, waiting to hear from sinai, so disregard my earlier confused posts! =)

Hey everyone, and congrats on already being accepted!! I interviewed at Sinai in October....was put into a holding pool / alternate list a few weeks later and haven't heard anything since. Does anyone happen to know when we might hear more, or when that list gets tapped into, if at all?

Does anyone know if there is going to be a second look weekend?

Hi, I answered this at the top of this forum, but they said there'd definitely be a second look weekend at my interview. I just remember it was kind of late, late April or early May would be my guess.

So what are your thoughts about attending Sinai? Any reservations?

NoSoupforYou13 said:
So what are your thoughts about attending Sinai? Any reservations?

I am really not sure...
When I interviewed at Sinai, here were/are my thoughts:
IN NO PARTICULAR ORDER

PROS:
-Great school, good reputation
-Central Park
-Great research/ option to add MD/PhD later.
-Students were VERY VERY happy.
-Location is kinda nice because you get to experience both Harlem and UES. But there doesn't seem to be a lot of places to hang out/study (coffe houses etc, yes that's where I study, me and my headphones LOL).
-Students emphasized that profs love to teach
-Cafeteria was really nice (I know this doesn't really matter).
-Close to the subway (not that important either).
-Anatomy lab overlooks Central Park (Do I remember this correctly? Or am I going crazy?)
-According to Dean, board scores are Really good. Anyone know average?
-The 92nd St. Y. Students have complete access to it.
-Financial Aid seemed good b/c MSSM has the 13k/year private loan that you defer up to 3yrs in residency
-The dummy patients (simulation dolls) and pretend rooms with cameras
-The hospital is really nice.
-Both Elmhurst and Sinai are great hospitals

CONS:
-By Harlem, so it did seem a little shady at night.
-I did not like housing. The space/location is amazing, but I thought the building was dirty and the noise from the train ALL night was insane.
(I know most of you are gonna kill me for this, since people love sinai housing). For NYC, the size is AWESOME, but I'm not sure it compensates for
the crazy loud noise and the dirty hallways.
-I felt like the students do not match that well in some specialties, I am considering academic medicine, so this is important for me.
but then again, I know match lists cant really be trusted.

Add to the Pros and Cons list in future posts if you can, Thanks

Anyone who is still deciding have more to add?
It would be greatly appreciated by many of us, I am sure.

Thx,

Nuno

NunoBR said:
I am really not sure...
When I interviewed at Sinai, here were/are my thoughts:
IN NO PARTICULAR ORDER

PROS:
-Students were VERY VERY happy.
-According to Dean, board scores are Really good. Anyone know average?
-The 92nd St. Y. Students have complete access to it.
Nuno

Not that I got accepted, but anyways...

Yep, students happy.
If I remember correctly, the scores were 230 and 219 for the most recent 2 classes.

Are there any forms that have to be filled out for institutional aid?

It's Official! I am to be an MSSM man :) I look forward to meeting some of you soon.

Sinai does have a second look, right?

And does anyone know whether we can get rid of the full size bed they provide and bring in a bigger one of our own??

Hey greendot..

I see you also got into UF. I am having a hard time deciding between Sinai and UF (amongst others). What made you choose Sinai over UF?

BigMAC said:
Hey greendot..

I see you also got into UF. I am having a hard time deciding between Sinai and UF (amongst others). What made you choose Sinai over UF?

Hey BigMAC,

Yeah, for me it pretty much came down to UF and Sinai as well, though I do have to say that it wasn't too close a competition for me.

1. I'm from NY/NJ originally, and have always seen myself going to school up there. It's hard for me to imagine a better place to spend 4 years in school than NYC ...

2. Pass/Fail at MSSM vs. A/B/C/D/F at UF

3. The housing ... I like the idea of having my classmates in the same building. I think that this will make it easier to make more friends, and add to class cohesiveness ... though the MS1s at UF did seem very close as well.

4. Overall feel of where I'd be happier. UF really impressed me on my interview day, and I was really considering staying in Fl for med school. However, I don't really want to live in Gainesville for 4 years, especially not 4 years of medical school. To me, Gainesville is a college town while NYC is as real a city as you can find.

5. Sinai is on Museum Mile, right by Central Park ... okay, I guess this belongs under location which I spoke to in point number 1, but I wanted to reiterate. Location = Fantastic

6. Reputation - I hope to eventually work in either NY or on the west Coast, and I think Sinai might be able to get me more connections than UF.

Hope that helps, and if I think of anything else I'll post it.

Anyone know when the 2nd look is? I emailed Kelli earlier today but haven't heard back yet.

Last year it was the first weekend of May. Kelli told me that it would be around the same time.

Has anyone submitted all the financial aid info to Sinai yet?

Hey guys,

I'm currently deciding btw sinai and northwestern. Both schools seem to have similar strengths, so it looks like it's going to be a tough decision. are any of you in the same boat? even if not, any thoughts? thanks!

pallcare said:
Hey guys,

I'm currently deciding btw sinai and northwestern. Both schools seem to have similar strengths, so it looks like it's going to be a tough decision. are any of you in the same boat? even if not, any thoughts? thanks!

This one probably comes down to whether you decide you want to live in Chicago or NYC (I know nothing about Northwestern except its location).

pallcare said:
Hey guys,

I actually interviewed at both.
Accepted at Sinai, Not accepted at NU.

This is a really hard decision, and in a way I am happy I don't have to make.
NU has a great curriculum, not a lot of hours in class (2hours) and a SMART PBL curriculum because it is organ systems based.
However, I thought it was just a really really expensive school.
Also, I have heard there is not a lot of flexibility in 3rd and especially 4th year.

Sinai is great for all the reasons I posted before.

I guess main diff:
Curriculum.
Location.
Price (if that matters to you).

Just heard back from Kelli about the second look weekend. It will be May 5th and 6th, and there is also a seperate one for students who identify as URM on the 21st and 22nd of April.

greendot said:
Just heard back from Kelli about the second look weekend. It will be May 5th and 6th, and there is also a seperate one for students who identify as URM on the 21st and 22nd of April.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO,

My bday is on the 22nd

I don't want to go to 2nd look then.
I haven't received an email yet.
Or maybe I'll go to the one on 5 and 6th, but my student host told me that the minority weekend is better.
I don't understand why they would split them up, it would have been much nicer to have an extension for minorities.

BigMAC said:
Last year it was the first weekend of May. Kelli told me that it would be around the same time.

It's due in May right?

BigMAC said:

I went over the financial aid packet that they distributed on the interview day, but it only lists the earliest dates of filing, not the latest. I'm planning to get it done this weekend though since I finally have both my own and my parents tax info.

greendot said:
I went over the financial aid packet that they distributed on the interview day, but it only lists the earliest dates of filing, not the latest. I'm planning to get it done this weekend though since I finally have both my own and my parents tax info.

FASFA- Done
Need Access- IT"S LONG....VERY VERY LONG.

NunoBR said:
FASFA- Done

i can't find the page that talks about financial aid. can someone please tell me what all is required and how to access the forms? thanks!

pallcare said:
i can't find the page that talks about financial aid. can someone please tell me what all is required and how to access the forms? thanks!

As far as I know, we have to do three things:

FASFA - online
Needaccess - at www.needaccess.org (if you wanna qualified for institutional aid)
Application for financial assistance (print out and mail it in)

Here is the MSSM finacial aid website (at least this is the only one I know of, if someone knows of a better or more detailed one, let us know).

http://mssm.edu/students/financial_aid/

NunoBR said:
FASFA- Done

Holy Crap! You're not kidding. I couldn't do my FAFSA right away because they needed to verify my SSN or something and said try back in 1 to 2 days, so I thought I'd get the Need Access knocked off ...

well, not so easy. It turns out I needed info that was well outside the realm of the 1040. No more tonight ... I'll try again tomorrow.

Where are the rest of my Sinai classmates? This thread was buried pretty deeply on page two.

Finished the FAFSA and NeedAccess ... just waiting on my parents W2's to send in the "App for Financial Assistance"

I am an MD/PhD applicant for this app cycle and wanted to let you know that the second look at Sinai for the MD/PhD program is April 6-8th, so the MD's won't meet the MD/PhD class until school starts....I can't wait to start school!!! Good luck to all of you in making your decisions...

carrie said:
I am an MD/PhD applicant for this app cycle and wanted to let you know that the second look at Sinai for the MD/PhD program is April 6-8th, so the MD's won't meet the MD/PhD class until school starts....I can't wait to start school!!! Good luck to all of you in making your decisions...

I'm excited for school to start too! So, what're the chances you'll be at Sinai?

I'll let you know after I revisit next week!!! But I am leaning towards it!

To those of you who have turned in all of your financial aid info (FAFSA, Need Access, and Sinai Forms), I called the financial aid office today and they have tentatively finisihed my financial aid package for next year.

FYI, the base loan is set at 28,000 again next year.