MD MSTP 3.74 gpa unknown MCAT? no volunteer hours?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Drakeyboo

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
3 months chemistry lab research
2.5 years of research in biology lab including 1 full time year, designed some own projects, poster, honors thesis, etc
110 hours shadowing over 2 years, random times
2 years math tutoring as a part time job
1 year tech assistant part time job
bio major
honors college
deans list sometimes
no volunteering
upward trend in gpa

nothin else. chances for mstp programs only? does having volunteering hours really matter? 'cuz I have none. unless you count.

what mcat do I need to get to get into MSTP with these activities and gpa?

Members don't see this ad.

From experience at my own school, and from posts here, I can assure you that if you have no ECs you might as well set your app on fire. Med schools can easily fill their classes with 4.0 GPA automatons, but they want people who will make good doctors, not merely good students.

You need to demonstrate that you actually want to be around sick and injured people for the next 40 years, that you know what you're getting into, and display your altruism.

The people who get into medical school do what's necessary, not merely what's convenient.

MSTP programs are highly competitive, so shoot for a score >36.

3 months chemistry lab research
2.5 years of research in biology lab including 1 full time year, designed some own projects, poster, honors thesis, etc
110 hours shadowing over 2 years, random times
2 years math tutoring as a part time job
1 year tech assistant part time job
bio major
honors college
deans list sometimes
no volunteering
upward trend in gpa

nothin else. chances for mstp programs only? does having volunteering hours really matter? 'cuz I have none. unless you count.

what mcat do I need to get to get into MSTP with these activities and gpa?

From experience at my own school, and from posts here, I can assure you that if you have no ECs you might as well set your app on fire. Med schools can easily fill their classes with 4.0 GPA automatons, but they want people who will make good doctors, not merely good students.

You need to demonstrate that you actually want to be around sick and injured people for the next 40 years, that you know what you're getting into, and display your altruism.

The people who get into medical school do what's necessary, not merely what's convenient.

MSTP programs are highly competitive, so shoot for a score >36.

since mstp programs are more research based, i am wondering if they really care about all that volunteering stuff.

Members don't see this ad :)
As Goro has stated, as it looks you stand zero chance at any MTSP. Despite being research focused, the MTSP is so competitive that they could have their pick of the litter, so why settle on someone who hasn't proven to be well rounded?

Every MD/PhD I've met has seen patients, and not merely in medical school. They don't just go from graduation to the NIH for a fellowship. And even the ones who have become PIs still see patients. I have a collaborator who is a department chair, a big name in his field, has a gazillion grants, but even he still sees patients.

To that end, I suspect that MD/PhD programs will want to to have at least touched a pateint at least once before applying. Perhaps my learned colleagues LizzyM or gyngyn can add their thoughts.

Last edited:
Do you suggest full time volunteering for a year? (30+ hours a week)?

Every MD/PhD I've met has seen patients, and not merely in medical school. they don't just go from graduation to the NIH for a fellowship. And even the ones who have become PIs still see paitents. I have a collaborator who is a department chair, a big name in his field, but still sees patients. To that end, I suspect that MD/PhD programs will want to to have at least touched a pateint at least once before applying. Perhaps my learned colleagues LizzyM or gyngyn can add their thoughts.
but what about the shadowing?

That shows us you know what a doctor's day is like. It's not volunteering.
What if I work as a scribe or start doing some clinical research? Do you think if I add an extra year (100 hours) of hospital volunteering, that will make me more competitive? I would rather work as a scribe or some other job at a hospital that pays

Scribing > clinical research, unless it involves something with direct patient contact.

I get the sense you're trying to be one of those people who never wants to touch a patient. I know someone like that when I was in grad school. She became a pathologist.

What if I work as a scribe or start doing some clinical research? Do you think if I add an extra year (100 hours) of hospital volunteering, that will make me more competitive? I would rather work as a scribe or some other job at a hospital that pays

Streampaw wants to be a dermatologist who makes 300k a year working 20 hours a week with no debt because she did a MSTP program for free without any interest in research.

Reactions: 2 users