MSTP grant renewal history

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

reformedhamlet

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm wondering if there's a way I can find out about the sustainability of T32 renewals for MSTPs. I have acceptances from two schools that I am having trouble choosing between. I looked up the T32 grant of one of them and it is set to expire June 2021, and the other in 2023. I'm not sure what this means, but I'm curious about the track record for each institution in attaining T32s. I also don't even know if this is the right metric to measure the training successes of a program; so please advise if you have thoughts. (Obviously I'm also looking at the number of faculty I'd be interested in working with, the location, and the directors)

Members don't see this ad.

The T32 FOA for MSTPs changed in 2019. All MSTPs "renewing" are submitting NEW T32 with no prior history. Now, that is not exactly correct as in the narrative, there will be an extensive discussion of the prior history of the program. The 2021 sunset vs 2023 is likely irrelevant in the big scheme of things... Over 98% of MSTP renew within 2-3 years due to the fact that achieving MSTP status means that programs have accomplished a series of academic milestones and benchmarks training MD/PhD students. Your decision should be more about "fit", strength of the research enterprise in your area of interest, quality of the MSTP leadership, happiness and supportive network of MSTP peer students, and quality of outcomes (pubs, time to graduation, residency matches, etc.). Location is also an important consideration. The difficulty over the past 12 months with travel makes it a harder decision. Trust your instincts...

Reactions: 1 user
This may not be the best answer, but I just found that you can look up projects on NIH RePORTER and search by project title ("medical scientist training program") and FOA (PAR-19-036 for the new one, PA-18-403 for the old one). For each project, there's a history tab that might help you get more info. Not sure it's comprehensive though...

Edit: searching by FOA actually isn't as helpful as I thought, but searching using T32 as the activity code actually got me more results for schools I couldn't find the other way!

Last edited: