MSTP rejection Q

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by audeo, Nov 3, 2001.

1. audeo

audeo Senior Member

Ok, I have got another MSTP rejection from WashU after Cornell :( :( :( . I am so deflated. My question is after rejection to MSTP program, will I be considered by the regular MD program without bias? My entire application is geared to MD/PhD so I wonder what kind of chance there will be left for me for the school. Another question is, after MSTP interview, what is the usual turnround for getting either acceptance or rejection, or hold for that matter.

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. none

none 1K Member

Gearing your app towards MSTP may hurt it in regular MD somewhat. I specifically did not mention a formal joint degree program in either my secondaries or primary, simply because I REALLY want to be an MD if I can't get into an MD/PhD program. And it might be a bit early to ask for many turnaround experiences now, you're way ahead of the game, holding an acceptance or rejection at this point. And, of course, last year's experiences have nothing to do with this year's.

4. Jonny-5

Jonny-5 Member

Welcome to my world...

Hey, don't worry. After a promising start with a Baylor MSTP interview I have gotten 3 straight rejection notices (Yale, Cornell, UCLA). All but Cornell said they would automatically consider me for the regular MD program and that my chances for acceptance would not be affected by the MSTP rejection (which I don't believe for one minute). Cornell wants me to CHANGE my AMCAS application to say that I am only applying to their MD program (goofy cornell!).

As for turnaround time, way to early to know. I know Baylor medschool has made a decision on me (accept/waitlist/reject) and I will find out anytime from now till first day of classes :( The grad school won't notify ANYONE until January and even then it's only for an invitation to the second look-type weekend event thing (however, I *think* everyone who attends that weekend is accepted ~30).

Moral of the story: Concentrate on interviews and know that the MSTP waiting game is even LONGER than that for straight MD's (insert crying noise here).

5. DocJ

DocJ Member

Jonny-5

How's it going? Do you think anybody from our group at Baylor has received the acceptance phone call yet? I imagine they might wait to notify the MSTP people till later because of the grad program acceptance...

6. Jonny-5

Jonny-5 Member

WHAZUP DOCJ!

Actually, the medschool acceptance has to come before the grad program can really debate your application (specific to Baylor; don't know about other schools). And, no I have not heard from anyone in our group getting an acceptance notice. I think the magical date will be Nov. 15, but I could just be smoking too much crack these days (stupid crack!).

Well, good luck to ya, I hope we all here something soon!

7. Hopkins2010

Hopkins2010 Banned
    Banned

I was initially worried about the same thing, since in my letters of rec there are a couple of mentions to MD/PhD

MSTP is a tough game, but keep in mind that many of the applicants are all applying to the same programs. In contrast to regular MD programs, MSTP schools are relatively few. Dont give up hope just yet.

8. rondo

rondo Member

there is definitely some crying (and whimpering) going on in my world too... after getting an interview at duke, the md/phd people at yale, cornell and ucsd have given me the boot.

do you guys know how many md/phd spots there are total? just wondering if anyone had done the arithmetic.

9. Hopkins2010

Hopkins2010 Banned
    Banned

I'm not sure about total number of spots. You can check the AAMC website, they might have something on it.

10. Jonny-5

Jonny-5 Member

Hey everyone:

Found this on my travels through cyberspace:

MSTP study

check it out. I think it list ~240 new MSTP matriculants in 1996 (makes sense with 34 participating schools and roughly <10 spots apiece).