Medbound2004

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 2, 2003
Status (Visible)
I am considering going to these 4 schools at the moment: Michigan State University, George Washington, Drexel, or the University of CT. I am out of state in all of these. Which school has better medical school program and reputation?

JuanRafia

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 29, 2004
Maryland
Status (Visible)
I say hands down GWU. It's top tier if that means anything to you. The resources and clinical experiences in DC are amazing. Drexel is on the downslope. I'm from Michigan and would have been at CHM had I not got into GWU. MSU is ok for primary carebut early clinica exposure outside primary care is virtually nonexistent. And aside from the radiology bldg, the facilities are poor. Out of state MSU tuition is like 275K for 4 years, probably not worth it, for a subpar reputation. Don't know much about the last school.

exmike

NOR * CAL
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 19, 2003
Bay Area
Status (Visible)
  1. Fellow [Any Field]
you really should visit the webpages and do your own research. also, didnt you ask people when you visited those schools?

About the Ads

Medbound2004

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 2, 2003
Status (Visible)
I have done some independent research into the schools, but I would just like to gain so outside opinions. Actually I was very impressed with the students at MSU, they were extremely motivated and friendly. I really didn't get a chance to interact much with the GWU students...but they definitely had a East Coast Edge about them. The GWU hospital is amazing though.....the rest of the classrooms needs some upkeep. UCONN was great too. I am conflicted...ugh.

Adapt

2K Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 19, 2003
Status (Visible)
It is clear that Drexel is above all the other schools you mentioned. :clap:

Medbound2004

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 2, 2003
Status (Visible)
Juan, thanks...wow you turned MSU for GWU....what is the instate titution for MSU? What year are you?

JuanRafia

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 29, 2004
Maryland
Status (Visible)
Turned down in that I am not going to accept my acceptance and will be accepting at GWU. In-State tuition isn't a major bargain, roughly 14k for 9 month semester amd 7k for summer months. It's all broken down in the financial packet you should have from interview day.

I'm from MI, so getting out for med school has been a goal. East Lansing can get you down in winter, and the med school curriculum has you move after the second year. The history behind GWU is mindblowing, and opportunities for research are better and more prestigious. That matters to me, it might not for others. Lastly, there's more diversity at GWU, and cultural things to do to offset studies. Everything about the city is attractive to me.

jlee9531

J,A,S
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 25, 2002
CA
fantasysports.yahoo.com
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
outside of the out of state tuition....

id go to MSU-CHM....the reputation takes a hit cause it not ranked research wise, but if you want to go primary care it is an excellent school.

now the primary care ranking has gone down only cause more and more people have been going into non-primary care specialities (which is a good sign for the school becoming a bit more well rounded)

now i was most impressed with the students there. that alone would make me wanna go there. they were one of the nicest, kindest, helpful people i have ever met. i have no doubt i would have been a happy student there that would have done well.

i like the fact we move after the 2nd year to get our clinical rotations. allows me to pick a place that will allow me to get the most out of my 3rd and 4th years.

but if i were to eliminate it to 2 schools...gwu would be the other school i would be contemplating as well only because i dont know too much about uconn and drexel. but slick can help you out with drexel.

LoneCoyote

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 13, 2002
lonecoyote11.blogspot.com
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
I have been very impressed with UConn. I have ties to CT and applied and it was at the top of my list (if I had to leave California) until I got into a UC school. I know students who are very happy there. It is a low-stress place, P/F grades, PBL, good sense of community among the students. You can get a broad exposure to community medicine, from working with farm workers to the inner city population in Hartford. The in-state tuition is low and you can qualify as an out-of-stater after a year. The biggest downside is the location... Farmington/Hartford is not the most happening place, but at least it is in between Boston and NYC.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.