1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

MSU question--do you have to want to stay in Michigan after med school to gain admiss

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by jmejia1, Dec 10, 2001.

1. jmejia1

jmejia1 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

It's very clear in the mission statement that Michigan State University wishes to educate compassionate and competent doctors to practice in Michigan. In their website they mention that out-of-state students may gain admission but that they need to fit in with it's mission of serving Michigan. Does this mean that they don't consider individuals that wish to practice outside Michigan after med school? Everything I read about MSU tells me that I would gain a great education and experience thier but in all honesty I have a specific population I wish to service out-side Michigan. Anyone know if they accept students with plans to practice elsewhere?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. jmejia1

jmejia1 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

4. jmejia1

jmejia1 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

bump part deux

5. Mossjoh

Mossjoh Mayo Clinic-PGY2
    10+ Year Member

They seem to like you staying in Michigan. That is their whole mission kind of...to educate Michigan primary care physicians, not to say they don't have their share of people going into other things. I think if you don't plan on staying in Michigan however, MSU may not look at you as seriously.

Just the facts...

Mossjoh

6. docab

docab Member
    10+ Year Member

I got in as an out-of-state applicant. I told them the truth about staying in Michigan afterwards which was that I didn't know, but was open to the idea.

7. jmejia1

jmejia1 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Anyone else have info?

8. autumnchai

autumnchai Member
    10+ Year Member

Woah...they want good doctors in MI at MSU but they aren't the Army! They neither require that you stay in MI or even ask during the interview specifically. About 50% of their grads stay in MI, according to their most recent data...nothing close to forcing students to stay in MI