Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

MSU Rejection

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by bagonnia, Dec 7, 2005.

1. bagonnia

bagonnia Member
    5+ Year Member

I just heard from MSU that I have been rejected pre-secondary. I am actually really surprised because I think it might just have to do with the fact that I have TOO much research experience. I have an interview at U of M and am on hold at Wayne. Has anyone else heard from MSU?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. tacrum43

tacrum43 Behold the mighty echidna
    7+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Resident [Any Field]
    Funny you should mention MSU...they must have rejected a bunch of people today. They had put me on pre-secondary hold (what is that???), but they finally rejected me today like three months later. I'm out of state so it wasn't exactly a surprise.

4. BlinkyCat

BlinkyCat Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I was also placed on presecondary hold and recently offered an invite to complete the secondary. I am also an OOS. It was odd to me because I got interview from Wayne state as well.

5. cfdavid

cfdavid Membership Revoked
    Removed 7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Just yesterday, I received a post-secondary hold for interview. I'm in state.
    I MAY get an interview in the next 10-12 weeks......

6. Dr.Pdizzle

Dr.Pdizzle Member
    5+ Year Member

MSU is a screwball medical school. Look at their gpa/mcat score averages, they're not that high. Why? Do you think they don't have applicants applying there with higher gpa's than 3.4's? They do, they just don't accept a lot of them. I go to MSU and have a 4.0, but I have a better shot at getting into U of M then MSU. MSU seems to reject a lot of U of M type applicants--my best friend last year was accepted to Northwestern, U of M, Wayne State, and Duke...MSU didn't even give him a secondary lol

So I feel your pain, I go to the school and I'm not even optimistic about my chances of getting in; it also doesn't help that I'm a white male either :laugh:

7. happydays

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    That's because they don't even consider your scores during the interview, which weighs a lot. They're looking for the most compassionate candidate who may not neccesarily have the highest stats.

Plus, they know that if you have stats like 4.0 and 40 MCAT, you're most likely NOT going to go there, so what's the point of even sending you a secondary? But if you're in the grey zone (GPA 3.3 to 3.7, MCAT 25-35), they think they'll have a shot at retaining you.

Oh, and their interview is by far the hardest I've ever had! At MSU, they know everything BUT your stats, so they treat you as if you don't have the numbers to get into another school. I was asked stuff like, "what are you going to do if you don't get in this year." Then I was bombarded by a slew of hard ethical/hypothetical questions.

The moral of the story is that if you don't get an interview invite, it's most likely that what you wrote in your primary and secondary didn't match the type of person they're looking for. You could get rejected for being "over qualified." Finally, you gotta study up on your ethics, because you'll get pounded in the interview.

Good luck, everyone!

8. SailCrazy

SailCrazy I gotta have more cowbell
    10+ Year Member

That's weird. All of mine have been really relaxed, and MSU-CHM was no exception. :confused:

9. temmie

temmie Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    hurray
    just got an interview from MSU, august mcat taker out of stater. i really dont care if they suck, at least, it's a med school. I am excited. good luck to everyone else

10. madonna

madonna Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    how do you know that you were on hold? they sent me email b/4 aug mcat scores come out saying about the hold since i did not have a score but noothig since, am i on hold?