MSU School of Osteopathic Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

brightness

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone attend MSU's school of Osteopathic Medicine? This is the main program I am interested in because it is close to home and family and because I love MSU! :) I was just wondering if anyone has experience with this program- I've seen people talk about quite a few schools on here but I don't think I've seen many mentions of MSU.

Members don't see this ad.

brightness said:
Does anyone attend MSU's school of Osteopathic Medicine? This is the main program I am interested in because it is close to home and family and because I love MSU! :) I was just wondering if anyone has experience with this program- I've seen people talk about quite a few schools on here but I don't think I've seen many mentions of MSU.
I attend MSUCOM, but you're right, there's a chronic lack of interest in the school on these boards. Likely because the school, like MSU at large I think, is extremely preferential to residents. There are generally <10% out of state students in each class. Also, aside from a few members here, there is no one who is "totally gung-ho" about the school on the boards.
The program is very laid back, the faculty are very good so far...I'm learning an amazing amount...our students do extremely well upon graduation and our school is expanding rapidly due to amazing demand for our graduates. I'm very glad I chose to attend and my classmates are awesome. The opportunities are amazing if you look for them, but there is still a great support group and help at every turn. The college is really there for you from my experience and from what I've seen around me.
Make no mistake about it, this is a community-oriented medical school with basic science curriculum based in East Lansing, but hospital affiliations all over the state. So if you're looking for tertiary medicine, it will be more difficult than at WSU or UM. Still, there are opportunities at Henry Ford sites, Sparrow (which is aiming for a more tertiary presence), and St. Joseph. Research for basic science is strong as a Big 10 school, but without a dedicated university hospital, clinical research is sorely lacking.
Hmmm...let me know if you want any other info. Call the Office of Admissions for lots of info...but know the questions you want answered, it makes things so much easier if you know before you call...or email Kathy Schafer, who is the Director and is awesome.
Post below with questions if you like or PM me...
Best of luck!

Hello!! I think that MSUCOM is a great school. I had the opportunity to be a student for a day and attend a few open house events. I believe that the school puts out great physicians as I work with some of them in the ER and when I worked in the cancer center, we had a gyn-oncologist that graduated from there. I usually hear people talking about MSUCOM here but not as much as some of the other schools. You are probably correct in the fact that its probably b/c of the ratio of OOS students.

While we are on the subject, they are having their annual Open house event on April 7 2006. The event goes from 1-430p and the information is on their website.