MSU vs. OU advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CT782

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I was wondering if anyone had advice on these two schools. I am a resident of Ohio but go to school in Michigan. I really am interested in both schools equally, but was considering applying Early Decision to MSU simply because 1) there is no ED program at OU, and 2) I thought it may increase my chances of being accepted. Is this a decent idea, or should I apply to both at the same time, but just early in the summer? I know MSU is pretty particular about out of state residents, so I have no idea whether early decision at MSU as an out of stater, or regular admissions at OU as an in stater would be the most productive for me. I'd appreciate any and all advice. :)

-Chris

Members don't see this ad.

Have you seen the tuition at MSU for an out-of-stater??? I think it's something like
$38,000/year!!! If you are an Ohio resident, then I would choose OU over MSU simply for that reason. On the other hand, if you have all the money in the world at your disposal, then by all means, choose the one that suits you best.

I would definitely choose OU over MSU if you are an ohio resident simply because of the instate tuition. That was one of the reasons I did not apply to MSU this year. Also as an ohio resident I have heard that its very difficult to get into any Michigan schools MSU and Wayne St. (if you are debating Allopathic) are two of the more particular. But if you want to go for MSU by all means GO FOR IT!!! I think we ohioans need to show Michigan up so they will start to accept more people who are right next door.

I suggest calling/emailing Kathy Schafer (Admiss Dir) at MSU. She's very helpful and should be able to give you friendly advice in your situation. I wouldn't rule out MSU until you get all the information!

Go State! :clap: