1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

MSU

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by DO1DAY, Apr 2, 2000.

1. DO1DAY

DO1DAY Member
    10+ Year Member

I was reading messages posted about MSUCOM and saw that Doc Gibby said that there is no special ranking list for alternate students. I was told by MSU when they put me on it that we are ranked after all interviews are done and that we will know that ranking in April...hopefully that will help Hulio's question on the subject.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. DocGibby

DocGibby Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Any way you look at it, it's still the same list. Obviously when people are accepted or rejected they're removed from the "master" list and what's left is your "alternate" list. They're one in the same.

4. DO1DAY

DO1DAY Member
    10+ Year Member

Actually, it really is not the same. The only people on the alternate list are those who have been interviewed and then put on a list. They then rank only those individuals who are put on this list- they don't just throw people back with those who have not been interviewed.

5. DocGibby

DocGibby Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Last year I didn't even recieve an interview and I was ranked 8th on the list according to the powers that be at MSU. Most likely below the alternates. Your probably right that there is a second list for the alternates. Apparently, I wasn't clear enough in my previous post. Obviously, since an alternate would be higher up then someone who hasn't even interviewed yet, what difference would it make if they were on the list together or not? Like I said they're one in the same.

Which brings us to what Hulio was asking about. How do they determine rank?, which I explained to the best of my knowledge. They rank you to determine interview date. Then after the interview they accept you deny you or make you an alternate. How you stack up against fellow alternates as a number will be a combination of your previous ranking along with how you did in the interview.

[This message has been edited by DocGibby (edited 04-03-2000).]

[This message has been edited by DocGibby (edited 04-03-2000).]

6. DO1DAY

DO1DAY Member
    10+ Year Member

I would have to say you probably were 8th below the alternates, since 29 alternates were accepted last year to state, and considering you were not interviewed- they were probably telling you that if they had continued the interview process that you were the 8th one down in the next group of interviewees...

7. Hulio

Hulio Junior Member

DO1DAY,
    Glad to here someone else is on the wait-list at MSUCOm besides me. for a while i thought i was the only unlucky pod on that alternate list. so do1day, when did u interview at michigan state? i interviewed there about third week of Jan. been on the alternate list since then. they basically told me the same info that you posted except they also told me that everyone interviewed will be wait-listed and then accepted in april but seems from other posts they were accepting people all along. that kinda got me down but hey i am waiting patiently. if it is suppose to happen it will happen. if not, chicago here i come. how about u do1day, got any back up plans?

8. DO1DAY

DO1DAY Member
    10+ Year Member

Hey there Hulio! They told me the same thing, but I have read someone on here interviewed in March and knows they are accepted! Crappy, huh?! I assume they had very mimimal amount of spots left and became very picky. I also interviewed late January (the 20th)...something unlucky about that time of year!! I am actually going to work if I don't get in and make some moola! I am getting married this summer, so I will also spend the year enjoying time with my new husband since there won't be much when I do get into school! I am also glad someone else is in the same boat as me- I had not heard of anyone else- have you heard your rank yet????

9. Hulio

Hulio Junior Member

DO1DAY,
    nope, i don't know my rank yet. I called yesterday and was told that they are expecting to rank the alternate-list middle of april. congratulations about your upcoming marriage. I bet you are going to have awesome summer then :). good luck

10. DO1DAY

DO1DAY Member
    10+ Year Member

Thanks Hulio- good luck to you- hopefully we will find out our ranks soon! It sucks not knowing anything!!

11. DO1DAY

DO1DAY Member
    10+ Year Member

Hulio, thought you might like to know that the alternate list rankings for MSUCOM will be ready April 17. Lorie told me we are welcome to call, and they will be sending out formal letters of confirmation. Good Luck [​IMG]