MSUCOM and No DO Shadow on that Form thingy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eschauberger

Some Guy
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I finally got MSUCOM's secondary, and I have to say that overall I am pretty impressed with everything. I know it's all paper, but they give you all that FAQ stuff. I was going through it and came to something that made me think.
I have not shadowed a DO before. I know that is a big criteria for MSUCOM and a lot of the other places. I have made a lot of effort to learn about Osteopathy and have tried to shadow, but the medical center here doesn't allow them (there are possibilities though...)
So, I have volunteered quite a bit at another Medical Center with DO's working there (one of the criteria on that Osteopathy Experience Form) and think I have a pretty good application besides my lack of a shadow. I am not from Michigan however.
My only possibility would be to call some Des Moines Medical Centers or Des Moines University COM and try to get one in soon. But at this time in the game is it really going to matter (I mean my secondary is do at the beginning of December). I just don't want to give them anything that they can screen me out with.
-Eric

Members don't see this ad.

Eric,
If you start this late in the game, an admissions committee member might look upon that as a negative- "He is just doing it now; he isn't really dedicated; just doing something to put on an application, etc" I would stress the other volunteer work that you did, and let MSU know that you have worked with D.O.s and understand the profession and have solidified the fact that this is what you want to do for a living.
Some other advice would be to make sure to apply to other schools along with MSU. I am sure that I don't have to tell you that, but figured I would throw it in there. Michigan State does not accept many out-of-state applicants, regardless of qualifications.

I wouldn't stress over the fact you haven't shadowed a D.O. before. I had shadowed 4 M.D.s and only 1 D.O. when I got into MSUCOM. Just make sure that in your essays you are able to show that you understand that M.D.s and D.O.s are different and you want to be a D.O. If you appear to be floundering between M.D. and D.O., they will be much more likely to drop you.

As far as the out-of-state thing, yes, we accept a small number of out-of-staters, but there are a decent number of them in my class. Make sure to apply other places, as well, but the chance to go to MSUCOM is worth the effort! It's a great school.