MSUCOM Class of 2005

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wren1976

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey anyone out there that's going to MSUCOM this fall? Let's meet in here.

Members don't see this ad.

Well, I'm going to MSUCHM next year, so that's sort of close since you and I will be in class together for the first little while.

Congratulations on getting accepted to an excellent school!

just wondering, what were your gpa's and MCAT scores like?

Members don't see this ad :)
I had a 3.6 overall and 3.0 science. I kind of screwed up in undergrad, but I went back to school afterward.

My MCATs were 11-8-9-Q.

I also applied before in 98, and I didn't even get interviews! This time around I have had 7 interviews out of 14 apps, and 4 acceptances. It's been rough road, but well worth the wait.

My name is Miriam, btw. I hope to see other Spartans in here!

I am a current MSU student (in the MD program though) but I would be happy to answer any questions regarding the E. Lansing area and the first year basic science classes that are the same for MD and DO students.

Originally posted by MIguy:
I am a current MSU student (in the MD program though) but I would be happy to answer any questions regarding the E. Lansing area and the first year basic science classes that are the same for MD and DO students.

Nice to now. I am interviewing on Feb. 8th at MSU-CHM. It is my first choice school. I think they have the perfect program for me...I hope this interview (since in Feb.) isn't too late to get an acceptance.
What do you (the current students at MSU) think about the Gross Anatomy class? Since it is post-section (I think that's what its called refering to already disected bodies)?
How about the preparation for USMLE I? Were you, or do you think you will be well prepared for it?

Regarding Gross Anatomy:
The lab is taught in prosection (MD and DO), cadavers are already dissected. Advantages to this are: No time spent cutting through layers of fat and muscle to get to the good stuff, a large number of specimens to see differences in anatomy, and the ability to see many different sections of specimens (coronal, sagittal, etc.). Disadvantages are only that in certain areas of the body it might help to cut in 3 dimensions (sole of the foot for example) but after you pass Gross, you can become a prosector and dissect fresh cadavers if you wish to gain this perspective. Anatomy lectures are great, taught by Ph.D.'s, D.O.'s, M.D.'s and D.O./Ph.D. MD students who didn't already have the utmost respect for DO's do after this class, these guys know their stuff and are wonderful. As for boards, MSU has a great pass rate on Step I, I was told it was 99.something% when I interviewed a while back. Find out at your interview, but it's not lacking at all. Overall if prosection in Gross didn't work, students wouldn't pass the boards, so it does. MSU CHM and COM are both great med schools that produce wonderful physicians.

Congrats!
I am a 2-year MSU-COM student. If you have any questions, please email me. Enjoy the little time you have! You will LOVE OMM!!
Save up $700 for you medical equipment. You will need the money at the end of orientation.
Angela
[email protected]

Hi everyone,
I have been accepted to MSUCOM and I just interviewed at MSUCHM this past Thursday. I wanted to comment about the Gross Anatomy class there and maybe give everyone some things to concentrate on. Having gone to MSU for undergrad, I have known about prosection for a long time and I have some concerns about it. When I have asked both students and faculty about the differnce between dissection, both are VERY quick to point out that it saves you so much time. This point alone does not do anything for me for the following reason. At other schools that I have interviewed at (Wayne State and Loyola), their Gross Anatomy class is not held concurrently with all of the other classes that MSU has concurrently. For instance at schools like these, they only have Gross and an intro to patient class until Gross is done.
So, from my perspective, you might save time because you are not dissecting, but that is also worked out in the rest of curriculum. With your extra time, you spend it concentrating on your other classes like biochemistry, cell biology and physiology, molecular biology genetics, and additional classes depending on the whether you are in the MD or DO program.
I'm not trying to be critical because I really like a lot of things at both MSU schools, but I just don't buy into that whole prosection saves you "so much time" thing. After all, gross anatomy is only a very tiny aspect of the whole overall picture.

Good luck to everyone,
jimmybee

I will be interviewing at MSUCOM soon and am trying to compare it to other schools such as PCOM. Overall how does MCUCOM compare with other schools? Also I heard that 3rd and 4th year students only rotate through one hospital, is there a disadvantage to this? Where do MSUCOM students end up after graduation--in Michigan or out of state. How do the students do on the boards? Where are they able to get residencies? Any info would be appreciated!! Thanks guys!

Wannabe,

I am a current MSUCOM student in my first year. I love the curriculum at MSUCOM. This is a stat, which does not mean that much, but MSUCOM was ranked 9th in the country for primary care by US News and World report, tied with Johns Hopkins. Because of MSUCOM's affliation with a state university, I believe the national recognition of MSUCOM to be very good.

MSUCOM students are able to do their third and fourth years in a choice of 12 hospitals in Michigan and do out-rotations for 16 weeks at any hospital they want. Within the state, the Osteopathic profession is very strong, like Philadelphia we have the 1st or 2nd most DOs nationally in state. Residencies are mostly done in MI, because students are 90% or greater from MI originally. Students from MSUCOM have went to the top residency programs, however, a number of our profs have went to Hopkins, Columbia, etc. for their residency programs.

Board pass rate is better than 94%.

I've got to get to class now. I'd write more.

Good luck deciding. East Lansing is a lot of fun too. The people here are very helpful and collaborative.

Class size is 125. We do share class the first year with the MDs from MSU who are also 125.

------------------
Matt Flannigan
MSUCOM Class of 2004

There is also a profile of the class of 2004 on this page http://www.com.msu.edu/admissions/
and then click on Profile of the class of 2004.

OK, now that I've added my 2 cents, I want to know people's opinions of living alone vs. living with a roomate. Also, which apts. are better in terms of cost, distance, and quality? I have surfed around on this board and found some relevant forums, but they were mostly last year's post. Anything new or changed?

Miriam

Docflanny:
Just one more question- how hard would it be for me to get a residency out-of-state? Am I at a disadvantage for an out-of-state residency coming from MSU? One other thing, to clarify, MSUCOM students are not assigned to one hospital and don't rotate just through that hosptial during their 3rd and 4th years? I thought I had read someplace that this was the case. Thanks for your help.

Members don't see this ad :)
I got into COM with a 3.5 overall and science with a 6/11/L/10.

Robs

jimmybee,

How did you interview at both schools? I thought students were not allowed to apply to both programs? Is this not true?

Also, how do you guys think a 3.57 overall gpa and a 3.43 science gpa would fare as an early decision candidate at MSUCOM? I have to take the MCAT in april, but I plan on doing pretty well -- assume 8's or greater in each category as a possible scenario. Or do you think it is better to just apply in a normal fashion?

note: MSU is unequivocally my #1 choice for myriad reasons (tuition, location, etc.).

Andrew

Hello,
I also interviewed at both MSU schools. I was admitted to COM. So, it is possible to apply to both the MD and DO schools at MSU. I have heard of other people thinking that you can only apply to one or the other, so you are not the first to think this. I think MSU-COM is an awesome school, the staff and students provide an excelent place to spend your med school career. I am not sure if I will be going to COM, right now I am considering attending Wayne State if I get moved from the alternate list. I have spent 4 years in East Lansing and I think a change would be nice. I completly agree with the DO philosophy, and think that my personality fits with the ideals behind osteopathic medicine. If I am offered a choice, and I do attend Wayne State, I am certain that I will be able to bring the same ideals and care into my career.

FutureDoc79

Hi Guys,

I'm considering myself very lucky and will be interviewing later this month. I'm not a MI resident and it appears from last years stats that nearly all the out-of-state applicants that got an interview got accepted.

Can anyone comment on this.

Thanks,

Dave

FutureDoc79,
What a response......I was thinking that I wrote it because it is exactly how I feel. I have a great mentor who is a DO and I have been around him for my whole life so I really know a lot about the osteopathic philosophy. I also want to go to Wayne primarily for the same reasons that you said (spent 4 yrs here, time for change, feel like I can incorporate DO ideals into an MD program). It's good to know someone out there has the same feelings.

About the person who is thinking about going early decision at COM; I would not do that if I were you. From talking to their advisors, they have even said that people should not put all of their eggs in one basket. Instead, apply to someother schools with higher acceptance rates too like AZCOM, DMU, and Kirksville. I've went to Kirksville, and I have to tell you that it was a lot more impressive than I thought it was going to be (if you like small towns).

Originally posted by wanna be a doctor:
Docflanny:
Just one more question- how hard would it be for me to get a residency out-of-state? Am I at a disadvantage for an out-of-state residency coming from MSU? One other thing, to clarify, MSUCOM students are not assigned to one hospital and don't rotate just through that hosptial during their 3rd and 4th years? I thought I had read someplace that this was the case. Thanks for your help.

I am a MSUCOM 4th year and here is a breakdown of where I spent (will spend) my 3rd and 4th years:
-12 months at my base hospital (375 bed community hospital in Detroit area)-most people spend about 6 of the 12 months in outpatient primary care clinics.
-1 month at the Cleveland Clinic.
-1 month at William Beaumont Hosp.
-1 month split between a large community hospital and an outpatient dermatology office.
-6 weeks at St. John's Macomb Hospital for Psychiatry.
-1 month at University of Michigan Hospital.
-6 weeks at family practitioners office.

I interviewed at excellent residency programs throughout the country and matched to my first choice - an out-of-state hospital.

Getting the residency you want is usually more about grades, board scores, and interview skills than about where you went to school (except for certain allopathic programs which prefer allopathic medical school graduates).

Originally posted by jimmybee:
Hi everyone,
I have been accepted to MSUCOM and I just interviewed at MSUCHM this past Thursday. I wanted to comment about the Gross Anatomy class there and maybe give everyone some things to concentrate on. Having gone to MSU for undergrad, I have known about prosection for a long time and I have some concerns about it. When I have asked both students and faculty about the differnce between dissection, both are VERY quick to point out that it saves you so much time. This point alone does not do anything for me for the following reason. At other schools that I have interviewed at (Wayne State and Loyola), their Gross Anatomy class is not held concurrently with all of the other classes that MSU has concurrently. For instance at schools like these, they only have Gross and an intro to patient class until Gross is done.
So, from my perspective, you might save time because you are not dissecting, but that is also worked out in the rest of curriculum. With your extra time, you spend it concentrating on your other classes like biochemistry, cell biology and physiology, molecular biology genetics, and additional classes depending on the whether you are in the MD or DO program.
I'm not trying to be critical because I really like a lot of things at both MSU schools, but I just don't buy into that whole prosection saves you "so much time" thing. After all, gross anatomy is only a very tiny aspect of the whole overall picture.

Good luck to everyone,
jimmybee

Jimmybee,
The students and facility who told you that disected cadeavers saves you time they are correct. I have taken prosection classes at MSU and you spend a majority of your time removing skin and fat. Believe me, it is a painstaking undertaking. I learned very little from prosecting, except for appreciating the deminsions of the structures in relationship to one another. This leaves less time to learn anatomy. The lab portion of anatomy is perhaps the least challenging of all your classes. The "extra time" that they are talking about is to be used for studying for your other classes. Believe me, you will need it. DO students get a full dosage of the anatomy lab. During your first year, we are in the lab for Gross Anatomy, Neuro Anatomy and NMSK I.
I should note that Gross Anatomy is perhaps the less challenging of your classes. I think the ave was a 85 or 86. Only 1 person out of 256 students failed. Many people find that Medical Physiology is more challenging course. It is not due to the content, it is due to the wording of the questions. However, the most challenging is learning how to juggle the classes and the large volumes of material that you need to know for the exams.
The classes that are far more challenging is not the basic science classes. They are your systems/domain classes.
Food for thought

This page is hopping! Lot's of great discussions.

Wannabe, you asked about being at a disadvantage to applying to out of state residency programs as an MSUCOM grad. I believe Rusty answered this question well, but would like to add that MSUCOM provides a great education and its national recognition and University affliation would only help your cause.

To those students living in EL and applying to Wayne State: good luck in your decision process, but remember there is more to the Osteopathic Profession than just a "holistic treatment model". Consider that at MSUCOM you would have Osteopathic Manipulative Medicine classes every semester the first two years along with Neuromusculoskeletal classes that reinforce your knowledge of anatomy and biomechanics. These programs offer a distinct advantage to your education, should you choose to embrace them. Many of my classmates and myself, have recognized the strength of our education by having these additional components.

Good luck everyone in deciding!

------------------
Matt Flannigan
MSUCOM Class of 2004

Hi there! I have not posted on the BB lately, but I decided to take a peak today when I found this post. In response, I would like to extend a big ?hello? to all my new classmates. I look forward to meeting you in August.

Dale J.
MSUCOM, 2005

Hello to my future classmates. I will be along side you in August. MSU was my first choice, so I am estatic. Does anyone know what they are doing for living/apartments. I was told Berrytree was pretty good, and to start looking now, as good apartments are pretty much taken by the end of february Any comments???

I just talked to an apartment leasing agent and his advice was go look for one now, especially the ones closest to campus, because they are the ones that go first.

[This message has been edited by wren1976 (edited 02-06-2001).]

I am a MSUCOM 4th-year student. During my first two years, I lived at Arbor Glen Apts. on Lake Lansing Rd. which is about 5-10 minutes from Fee Hall where you will be spending most of your time. Arbor Glen is one of the better places to live, but I thought it was just OK. I shared a 2 bedroom, 2 bath apartment with a roomate. A lot of med students live at Arbor Glen, Berrytree (very close to Fee Hall, but not very nice), Nemoke Trails, Central Park, and several other complexes off-campus. Some people complain about parking but I didn't mind at all. Barb Sinclair in the Student Services Office (517-353-7742) can probably help you with roomate matching and a directory of apartment complexes which is published 2x per year with most of the off-campus apartments. I recommend that you find a roomate and get a 2 bedroom apartment off-campus. Most of the apartments on campus or near are overpriced for not much apartment. I recommend the Central Park Apartments on Meridian Road near Meridian Mall (5-10 minutes from campus). They are really nice. Good Luck.

I lived in Berrytree for nearly two years, and my apartment was very nice. I only knew one other person in the complex, and her apt. was nice too. Maybe it depends on what building you are in. Another place nobody has mentioned that is down by Hagadorn Rd. and Lake Lansing is Brandywine Creek. It's 5-10 minutes driving, and on the busline if you don't have a car. I never could have afforded to live there (or in Central Park or Arbor Glen) when I went to MSU, but I always wanted to
smile.gif

Here are some apartments with the areas, and phone numbers (517 area code) that another student gave me. Has anyone decided on roommate vs. single living??

Walking Distance to Fee Hall:
Berrytree: 351-4091
Twyckingham: 351-7166
Milford Arms: 337-8016

Hagadorn/Lake Lansing area, on Busline to Campus:
Arbor Glen: 351-5353
Brandywine Creek: 351-1278
Carriage Hill: 337-0123
Hiddentree: 337-2173
Homestead: 351-7700
North Pointe: 332-6354

Abbott Rd. Area, on busline
The Pines: 351-7177
Abbott Pointe: 332-8215

Haslett:
Benson Hills: 339-9911
Meridian: 339-9552
Nemoke Trails: 349-2614

West of Campus:
The Oaks: 336-9525

Northwest of Campus:
Woodbroook Village: 332-7150
StoneHedge: 351-6789
Timberlake: 351-6789

South of Campus:
Dover's Crossing: 393-0210
Tammany Hills: 393-1112

East of Campus:
Collingwood: 351-8745
Club Meridian: 347-1850
Knob Hill: 349-3800

Far(20 min. drive), but quiet and cheap
Deer Creek: 655-2642 (in Williamston)
Mason Hills: 676-4874

I did not have a good experience with a leasing agent. I live a Trappers cove. Its 10 minutes from Fee. The rent is very reasonable and you need to be on the waiting list starting YESTURDAY. Yeah, Rusty made a good recommendation to see Barb Sinclair. But what I did was to drive to Lansing in and look at appartments. Most of the time, you don't need an appointment. If you do, its usually a bad sign: too expensive.
Some apts accepts pets.

Originally posted by wren1976:
I just talked to an apartment leasing agent and his advice was go look for one now, especially the ones closest to campus, because they are the ones that go first.

I did not have a good experience with a leasing agent. I live a Trappers cove. Its 10 minutes from Fee. The rent is very reasonable and you need to be on the waiting list starting YESTURDAY. Yeah, Rusty made a good recommendation to see Barb Sinclair. But what I did was to drive to Lansing in and look at appartments. Most of the time, you don't need an appointment. If you do, its usually a bad sign: too expensive.
Some apts accepts pets.

Congratulations to all who have been accepted to MSUCOM. See you all next fall. As far as apartments go, definitely check out Club Meridian Apts. They are a little more expensive, but very close (3mi) and spacious, with several perks.

------------------
Matt Flannigan
MSUCOM Class of 2004

I just have a couple of questions for all you current COM med students.

First, would you suggest living by yourself or finding a roommate.????
Second, does the financial aid given by MSu cover expenses.????

Thirdly, if you would suggest living by yourself, where around here is affordable. I found an apartment at trapper's cove for 455 but I just don't know whether I wan't to live alone or not.

Any help would be appreciated.

Robs

Anyone entering the MSTP (D.O., Ph.D.) at MSU-COM? Someone from the school is trying to recruit me into that program. Does anyone know anythink about it? I am just curious about the word on the street, of course I have read all about it on their website.

Originally posted by rober270:
I just have a couple of questions for all you current COM med students.

First, would you suggest living by yourself or finding a roommate.????
Second, does the financial aid given by MSu cover expenses.????

Thirdly, if you would suggest living by yourself, where around here is affordable. I found an apartment at trapper's cove for 455 but I just don't know whether I wan't to live alone or not.

Any help would be appreciated.

Robs
1. I suggest that you find a roomate.
2. MSU calculates your expected budget for the school year which includes tuition, room, board, books, equipment, transportation and other expenses. You can borrow up to this expected budget value.

Hey everyone of the class of 2005 at MSUCOM!!I can't wait till August although today I read the curriculum schedule for our first year and its pretty scary I feel like I should start studying now!!

We need to get a list of names going of who's attending MSUCOM this fall so that we can at least have 'some' familiarity at orientation! Please add your name:

Miriam Garcellano

We need to get a list of names going of who's attending MSUCOM this fall so that we can at least have 'some' familiarity at orientation! Please add your name:

Miriam Garcellano
Kari Young

Hi All!

I wonder if you can also post the name of undergrate colleges that you graduated from?

I will be transfering to either MSU or University of Michigan to finish my undergrate degree and I would really like to enter MSUCOM in the future. Do you know if MSU gives preference to MSU undergraduates? And do you think it is a good idea to choose MSU over UM for undergraduate under such circumstances?

Thank you very much.

-->CUT AND PASTE THIS TEXT AND COPY IT INTO YOUR POST<--

Miriam Garcellano - Hope College
Kari Young

Miriam Garcellano - Hope College
Kari Young - MSU may '99

Is it just me or do I get the impression that getting into a DO program is pretty easy. I heard the people in COMs are rejects who couldn't get into med school. I don't that I'd like to have the reputation associated with my title.

Jose, you aren't going to start a flame war here. Besides, you look foolish trying to start something in such an inarticulate manner.

Just for the record: MSUCOM was rated #6 in the NATION in primary care, and that's not the top of Osteopathic schools, that's the top of ALL schools.

For many, MSU is their FIRST choice because it is a great school, MD or DO.

Cheers.

Hey everyone:

Ignore Jose; he has only posted on this board a few times. All four of them were attempts to start a flame war; his comments are not worthy of your time. Let us keep this post--MSUCOM 2005--on subject.

Dale Jackson

Has anyone received info for orientation, or new budgets for August? I sent in my acceptance agreement and formal transcripts over two weeks ago and haven't heard anything from State. Are they waiting until all interviews and acceptances are given out before sending out information for the Class of 2005?
- Kari
smile.gif

I have only spoken with them in detail twice. When I was accepted in October, they told me materials would be sent out in March. You may want to call and see if this is still true. As far as financial aid goes, they are going to make their first awards near the end of April. Therefore, we need to get our tax returns done and complete the FAFSA (http://www.fafsa.ed.gov/) ASAP. The sooner we get an idea what our award is going to be the sooner we can plan our budget.

If you call them and anything has changed from what I said above, please drop me an email and let me know.

Dale

Congratulations to all who have been accepted to the class of 2005! I'll look forward to meeting you this fall.

Some pointers:

1. Do not begin studying before medical school to prepare. You'll learn what you need to know here.

2. Don't start med school with debt (ie. car loan). The financial aid is good, but things get tight if you're making a car payment.

3. Start an exercise program now. The one thing that tends to modulate the emotional level of many of my classmates and myself is a work out program 4-6 days a week. You need to have an activity that you do consistently, that helps you escape from the rigors of med school.

4. Realize that med school isn't terrible difficult, but it happens faster than undergrad. You'll take an average of 1-2 tests a week over 100+ lecture pages. The pace is probably 3-4 times faster than undergrad.

5. If you've had considerable background in the sciences (biochem, genetics, cell bio, neuroanatomy, gross anatomy) you'll be at an advantage.

6. Live with a roommate--you'll save a lot of money!

Good luck finishing up your senior year.

------------------
Matt Flannigan
MSUCOM Class of 2004

Has anyone done any serious apartment hunting yet? I am going to start making phone calls in a week or two. I plan to go visit East Lansing, look at the apartments and maybe put down a deposit in May.

Thanks,
Dale
tongue.gif

You should be looking for apartments ASAP. I found two so far (Trappers Cove and Nemoke Trails), and am waiting for approval, then I will be put on a waitlist. Check out www.rent.net for more info. It was really helpful, giving floor plans and prices/amenities.

I talked to MSU today. Linda, the secretary, said we will be getting 3-4 packages of info in the upcoming months and summer. Orientation tentatively starts August 16 -24th. Classes begin the 27th.

How is everyone doing with apartment hunting? I'm still waiting to hear on two. No one's posted in awhile so I wanted to see how everyone is doing. Have a good day!
smile.gif

-k

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by wren1976:
Hey anyone out there that's going to MSUCOM this fall? Let's meet in here.
YEEEEEEHAAAAAWWWWW!!!!!! I got in. I'll see you all in the fall. Bruce Whitaker [email protected]

Congrats mcprotein! I see the interview went well. Look forward to meeting you in August!
-k