1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

MSUCOM - Class of 2008

Discussion in 'Medical Students - DO' started by tastytreat, Apr 25, 2004.

1. tastytreat

tastytreat no preservatives added
    5+ Year Member

Search came up with no maches so I figured I'd put one up myself. Say hello there fellow Spartans.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. hudsontc

hudsontc Attending
    10+ Year Member

Tasty...
    Pretty impressive that you're a 10+ poster already drawing karma.

I'll be a fellow MSUCOMer this fall...from whence do you hail?

4. tastytreat

5+ Year Member

I hail from ye old town of Warren.

5. DCGIRL

DCGIRL Member
    7+ Year Member

Hi, I am also a 2008 MSUCOM student. I getting really excited to start school and meet everyone.

6. futuredo32

futuredo32 Senior Member
    15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Hello fellow MSUCOMMERS
    I am extended (I started this fall but will be graduating with the class of 2008), I can't tell you how AWESOME MSUCOM is, you couldn't have chosen a better school :)

7. tastytreat

5+ Year Member

Out of curiosity, what's the housing situation for the new MSUCOM'ers out there? Off campus housing or Owen (the grad dorm)?

8. gonnabeaDO

gonnabeaDO It don't get no righter!
    7+ Year Member

I just wanted to say hello to all of my future classmates at MSUCOM. I too am getting excited to start and meet everyone, but at the same time, I know the summer is going to fly by, so I say we all enjoy it and don't be in too much of a hurry

see you all soon!!

9. hudsontc

hudsontc Attending
    10+ Year Member

Off-campus housing for me.....

I've got a sweet house only a few blocks away--can't wait to start! What is everybody going to to do with their last free summer? I'm leaving my job at the hospital mid-june and going to just take the rest of the summer off. Play alot of golf, read some neglected books and do some camping up north (in addition to spending some quality time with friends)...are my plans.

10. Ratch

Ratch Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Most people live off campus, there is plenty of housing not far away - look into berrytree apartments, thats where lots of med students live as its walkable to get to class. i live about 3 miles away and just drive in every day; some people live across town in West Lansing, Haslett. A select few commute from Detroit! whatever you like is possible. Enjoy your summers, Read a book!!!

11. tastytreat

5+ Year Member

I think I'm pretty sure I'll be getting housing at Owen (the grad dorm). I like being walking distance from class, having a dining hall built in (I can't cook worth anything) and paying less for it than I would for an apartment. So if anybody's around, feel free to come and say hi :)

12. CanadianDoctor

CanadianDoctor Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

Hi everyone. I just wanted to say hello to my future class mates. See you all in the fall.
    MSUCOM Class of 2008 :D

13. hudsontc

hudsontc Attending
    10+ Year Member

Did anybody go to MSUCOM's open house? I wanted to go but had to work the night before and didn't think I would really enjoy it as a result. Anyway, I was just curious as to what went down on the street.

What are you all doing this summer and when are you moving to Lansing...if you're not there already?

14. DCGIRL

DCGIRL Member
    7+ Year Member

No, I didn't go to the open house because I don't live in Michigan right now, but I would also like to know what happened. I will be moving to east lansing sometime in August. What about everyone else? I have an apartment in BerryTree. Where is everyone else living? I am excited, but I have a feeling that this summer will just fly by. Take care.

15. CanadianDoctor

7+ Year Member

I went to the open house. I thought it was pretty cool. Talking with the current students was very informative.

16. hudsontc

hudsontc Attending
    10+ Year Member

It sounds like alot of people are going to be staying there. A fellow MSUCOMer from one of my anatomy labs is going to be living there as well.

I'll be renting from a guy who just built a house down the street from the school on Hagadorn. It's really a nice place and not that far away (maybe a 5 minute walk). I'll be moving over there mid-August...when camp is done for the summer.

17. Lars

Lars Junior Member

Just wanted to say hi to all MSUCOMers of 2008. I am so incredibly frickin excited to start in August.

I went to the open house. The first year students who were giving the tours were awesome. It was cool to have a chance to talk with them.

18. gonnabeaDO

7+ Year Member

to the questions of living location, I will be staying in Capstone Commons Apts. they were by far the best deal I could find in the area, but I am sure they are all full by now, I think they were filled in early March. where is everyone from? I live in Auburn Hills, about an hour away from MSU. I am excited to start as well, but I am trying to focus on having a great summer, as I know it will blow by. if anyone else lives somewhat close, maybe we can arrange to all get together sometime before we start. there are 4 other people from my undergrad going there, so that will be very beneficial for me.

take care everyone!

19. DCGIRL

DCGIRL Member
    7+ Year Member

Hey everyone,

I would like to meet up with some new classmates. I am from the Shelby Twp area, but I live in Washington DC right now. I will be moving sometime at the end of June back home and would love to meet up with some people. So let me know when something is planned. Thanks!!

20. tastytreat

5+ Year Member

If we can get a group of people together I game for meeting up somewhere.

21. DOjody13

DOjody13 New Member

Hi to all of the other Spartans. I have been browsing this site for a while now looking for any information about MSUCOM 2008. Today I was going to start my own post if necessary, but it looks like I don?t have to!

I have to agree with all the other posts, I am so excited to be at State this fall and back in school. I have been working in NYC for 2 years and I am more than ready to be buried in the books and in Michigan.

Is anyone buying/thinking about buying football tickets? I was also wondering if anyone else is struggling to buy Spartan tickets because he/she spent four glorious years at the Big House watching the best college football team out there.

What is everyone doing this summer? Has anyone moved to E. Lansing yet? I am moving back next week and plan on spending the summer working on my little house and re-adjusting to the Midwest mentality.

I am all for some summer get-togethers with fellow classmates. As soon as I figure out how to build a patio or at least buy a grill, I would be more than happy to host a BBQ at my place. I guess I would probably need furniture too, well I will have to work on that. (I have never owned anything in my life and I have been living in closet sized-apartments for the past 2 years, so having my own place makes me grin from ear to ear).

Take care everyone!

22. Ratch

Ratch Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

personally i would hold off on the season tickets for football, you're gonna be a bit busy this fall, trust me ;) you can always find tix for individual games there are postings all over fee and emails about tickets from other students

i quickly learned the most important thing about a football game was the last 5 minutes or so, along with sportscenter :)

a football fan at MSUCOM'07

23. DOjody13

DOjody13 New Member

Hey,
    Thanks for the advice! I think I will probably hold off then, I just have missed football Saturdays dearly the past few years. :D

I know that the time to see all the games simply won't be there, but I thought it might be less expensive to buy them all than to find tickets that other's were selling.

Since you are finishing up your second semester, maybe you can help me on something. I am going to buy another computer for school. Are there any programs or models of computers that would be more compatible or a better fit with the program? This is probably a stupid question, but my last computer was an apple notebook and no one could help with problems and I had trouble accessing everything. I am not very adept on computers so I was just wondering if there was any information that would make my decision easier. Would you recommend a laptop over a desktop or vice versa?

24. CanadianDoctor

7+ Year Member

Hello everyone. I actually live about 3 minutes from MSUCOM and I start in the fall. I have a home with 2 kids and a dog..... My wife and I would love to put something together with some of my future classmates. Feel free to PM me if interested.
    :)

25. Ratch

Ratch Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Personally i don't think there is a demand for a cpu in school. i have an old dell at home and more importantly than what type of cpu you have is probably having a decent internet connection. check with some of the apartment buildings b4 u move in too, because some of them limit specifically who services their buildings, and it may be shat service... there are plenty of cpu's on campus and in fee, so you can use those almost 24/7, but personally i thought it was a HUGE advantage to have a really fast internet connection here at my place b/c it allowed me to view all of the physiology/histology slides from home... that was worth the 50 bucks a month or whatever it costs me.

if you want a cpu at school thats cool too, obviously laptop is nice and you can buy a networkcard-thingy from MSU and Fee has ports throughout the building for wireless internet (never woulda thought that by looking at the building!). all in all though, i would say a cpu is minor in the scheme of things.

it sounds trite but enjoy your summer, things get pretty busy right off the bat and don't slow down for, well, i don't now they really haven't yet. let me know if i can anwser any questions, its nice to do something other than pharm right now :)

26. DCGIRL

DCGIRL Member
    7+ Year Member

Any incoming MSUCOMers heard anything about finacial aid yet?

27. CeLo

CeLo Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    You should have gotten a letter with your PIN and PAN, which will allow you to create your MSU email account and the STUINFO pages. You can then look under financial aid on STUINFO and see your aid package.

28. hudsontc

hudsontc Attending
    10+ Year Member

I went to "stuinfo" and followed the financial aid link and the message tells me that a financial application has not been received. I went to the fafsa website and confirmed that my renewal application was processed at the end of January. Anybody in the same position or should I be giving the financial aid department a call?

29. Ratch

Ratch Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

call financial aid - tell them you will be attending the osteopathic medical school and they should transfer you to diane, she is the med school finance guru and will help ya sort everything out. if she isn't in be sure to leave a message, she gets back with you pretty promptly usually.

30. hudsontc

hudsontc Attending
    10+ Year Member

Thanks for the input, Ratch. Apparently they had sent my package via e-mail a few days before I had activated my account...so it was lost? They're sending another tomorrow.

31. tastytreat

5+ Year Member

I think the loans/info on the financial aid page aren't final yet. On mine it says that the budget hasn't been set yet for the 04-05 year. According to the cost breakdown packet I got during my interview, I'm still a few $ short. I think what seems to be missing is a chunk of the living stipend/housing expenses.

32. hudsontc

hudsontc Attending
    10+ Year Member

Tasty,
    I don't know if this is the case with your application too...but it looks like the financial aid package that I have is quoted for fall and winter semesters only. Of course you know that we go the full year at MSUCOM....so summer's tuition and living expenses are not included in this FAFSA cycle since we are starting in the fall. Next January's FAFSA will. This should explain the seemingly low funding.

33. tastytreat

5+ Year Member

Yep, just looked at it again, you're absolutely right. Makes alot more sense now :)

34. lotanna

lotanna Child of God
    7+ Year Member

Hey everyone I'll be at CHM but thought i'd drop in since we'll have 1st yr classes together. Maybe I can ask to borrow notes in advance :D

35. tastytreat

5+ Year Member

Howdy folks, nobody's dropped by in a while figured I'd give this a bump in the hope some more MSU'ers feel like saying hi.

36. Lars

Lars Junior Member

I'll send a hi right back at ya. So how does everyone feel about getting started? Personally, I am ecstatic for the fall. We are all finally going to be D.O.ing it (sorry for the pun :D )

37. Lars

Lars Junior Member

Oh by the way does anyone know:

1.) when do we get our loan money?

2.) Are ya'll buying laptop computers? Do we need them?

I'm not too sure, obvoiusly, and I just wanted to get a concensus as to what others are planning on?

38. sistahnik

sistahnik Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Other Health Professions Student
    yes I attended the '04 open house and it was delightful!! :D the students are the happiest bunch of people that I have ever seen. I sat in on a couple of case presentations and went on the tour with a student. the school has a wonderful atmosphere and the professors that I met were more than helpful. I won't be applying until next year, but I just wanted to get my feet wet! :) congratulations to you all on your acceptances! :thumbup:

39. tastytreat

5+ Year Member

I think the earliest you can get loan money is the first day of class. As for computers go, it helps having one (to look at histo slides at home instead of the lab, for example) but it dosen't necessarily have to be a laptop. I have my big cumbersome desktop that I'm bringing up to East Lansing.

40. gonnabeaDO

7+ Year Member

if anybody is still plannin' a get together, please pm me to let me know since I don't visit here much. if not, I look forward to meetin' you all in the fall.

gonnabeaDO

41. futuredo32

futuredo32 Senior Member
    15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    You don't need a laptop. You can request extra loan money if you would like to buy a laptop, or any computer. As for the loan money, we usually get it the week before classes start. See ya in the fall :)

42. CanadianDoctor

7+ Year Member

I was just told that the money is released on Aug. 20. If you sign up for direct deposit (much faster), you should have it right away. If you don't sign up for it, you are at the mercy of the U.S. Postal Service. You can sign up for direct deposit through the stu-info link on the MSU website. Good luck!!

43. Lars

Lars Junior Member

Cool...thanks for the info everyone!

44. LCspark18

LCspark18 One of the Fam ;)
    7+ Year Member

I got a yellow postcard in the mail today telling me to look online for my fall registration bill. However, the website at STUINFO.msu.edu requires a "NetID" to access it, which is neither our PID nor PAN. Does anyone else know what to do with this?

45. Lars

Lars Junior Member

Your NetID is your email address minus the "@msu.edu". Your password is the same as your email password. My email is [email protected] do my NetID is waledani.

46. LCspark18

7+ Year Member

hmm. When did you receive your email address? When I look up my name under the MSU people search, I don't have an account listed. I hope I didn't miss some info in the mail or something like that. Thanks!

47. LCspark18

7+ Year Member

called the registrar's office this morning- all good! :)

48. racystacey07

racystacey07 Member
    7+ Year Member

hey guys! i just got my official acceptance for this fall today. yay! i cant wait to meet you all the end of this month :)

49. tastytreat

5+ Year Member

Awsome, congrats!

50. hudsontc

hudsontc Attending
    10+ Year Member

Way to hang in there, racystacey. You must be incredibly excited...I'm so happy for you! Congratulations and see you in a few weeks.

51. racystacey07

racystacey07 Member
    7+ Year Member

Thanks so much! I am totally geeked. Today is my last bartending/waitressing gig EVER, so I am pretty excited. I am heading to Lansing tomorrow to fill out all of the remaining paperwork and looking for a place to live. I may have some qs then. Are any of you familiar with the Lansing area? Have an excellent weekend!