Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

MSUCOM interviewees?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by AnnaA, Jan 23, 2002.

1. AnnaA

AnnaA Member

Hi Everyone,
    I just found out that I am going to be interviewing at MSUCOM soon. If anyone else has interviewed there recently, could you let me know some of your thoughts, likes/dislikes, or overall impressions about the school?? What was the atmosphere like? I'm just trying to get a feel for the school before I got there.

Thanks so much
    Anna

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. lighthouse

lighthouse Member

Hi, I interviewed at MSUCOM right after Thanksgiving. I was really comfortable with everything the whole time I was there. The staff is really friendly and try to do everything they can to help you relax. (Admissions people were telling me the "dirt" on the people who were interviewing me) The interviews were easy, more like a conversation than anything. The tour was nice because it was nice to talk to some students and discuss what they like/dislike and to discuss whatever is on your mind about med school. It is a great school, I hope to see you there in August!

4. Shmini

Shmini Junior Member

when was your app completed and when did they get in touch with you? what are your stats?
    thanks

5. AnnaA

AnnaA Member

My app was complete sometime in November. They contacted me on Monday, MLKjr Day. My MCAT was 27 and my GPA is 3.5 something. I have already been accepted to LECOM, but I want to interview at MSUCOM before I make any major decisions.
    Anna

6. lighthouse

lighthouse Member

Good idea, checking out MSUCOM anyway. I think you'll like it. It is a great school.

7. AnnaA

AnnaA Member

That's what I figured. I really want to see the difference between a small, private medical college and one that is the middle of a hugh university. Since I attend a very small college now, I am excited to see what a big university is like!

8. lighthouse

lighthouse Member

I, too, am from a small college now (1400 people). I was surprised to see how much MSUCOM is like a small school even though it is in a big school. The med students I talked to said you do everything with the same group of people all the time, since you have every class with everyone in your class (100 or so). The guys I talked to said it was a very tight community and they really liked the semi-isolation from the rest of the college (esp. undergraduates).

9. Medic171

Medic171 Senior Member

Medical Student
    I am an undergrad at MSU, and the med students are NOT isolated. I go over there all the time. this is a great school, and the COM is great too from what I have seen and who i have talked to.

10. AnnaA

AnnaA Member

What about the facilities? New, old? All in one building? Also, did you get to meet with current med students, or did you just stop some along your tour?

11. Medic171

Medic171 Senior Member

Medical Student
    Most of the facilities are located in Fee hall with a few exceptions. They are very up to date, although fee hall is a bit old. The first 2 years are set up so that COM students and MD students take the same basic science courses together(eliminating any preconception that DO students somehow are substandard to MD).

12. OsteoMed02

OsteoMed02 Senior Member

Anna,

I am a graduate of MSU and will be a 1st year student at MSUCOM this fall. Congrats on your interview, and consider yourself very lucky. It's truly a wonderful place to be. If you want any hints on interviewing, I have some comments listed on interviewfeedback.com As an undergrad, I was able to frequently interact with staff and students from the college. It is an unbelievably comfortable atmosphere and you get all of the perks of a large university-based school. Attending MSU was one of the most exciting experiences ever and it is definitely something that you should consider. They have a brand new OMM laboratory and most anyone is willing to give you a show around the place. Best of luck to you and keep us posted!

13. AnnaA

AnnaA Member

Thanks, everyone's comments have been very helpful. I feel very prepared for the interview. Now I'm just waiting for them to email me with the date!! I'll let you guys know how it went!

Anna

14. westsidespartan

westsidespartan Senior Member

Medical Student
    AnnaA, I'm kind of in the same boat as you. I'm waiting for an interview date as well. I don't know why they don't schedule one when they first invite you. You'll have to tell me what date you get, maybe we'll get the same one.

15. AnnaA

AnnaA Member

When did they invite you for an interview? I was told that I would be emailed with my date by the end of the week, but that passed yesterday. I am excited for the interview, but I am trying to make plans for spring break, so it is getting pretty frusterating!!

16. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

17. westsidespartan

westsidespartan Senior Member

Medical Student
    Last week Monday, (1/21) I received an email asking to call them regarding my application. I called the next day, Tuesday, and Linda said the committee wanted to interview me and that she would email me the date by the end of the week as well. So I don't know. If I don't hear by this Tuesday, I'll call them again.

18. AnnaA

AnnaA Member

Same here, but I plan on calling them on Monday afternoon if I don't hear anything by Monday am.

19. Jim Picotte

Jim Picotte Senior Member

Not that it really matters, but the students at MSUCOM only take the FIRST year classes with MSUCHM. The second year both schools go their separate ways. I'm at the MD school but I think the DO school is absolutely excellent.

Even though you're at a big University, I never ventured north during my medical school career unless I needed to go to Financial Aid or get some administrative stuff done. I rarely interacted with the undergraduates, but the option is there if you really want to explore more of the campus, but there is no need to. All the classes are at the Life Sciences Building, the Radiology Building or Fee Hall like the others have said.

Hope you have a good interview there.

20. wren1976

wren1976 Member

Hey guys, I was just reading all your posts and I just want to say good luck, and don't worry, Linda will call you back eventually. I in am my 2nd semester here and I absolutely love it. I love the faculty, and we do have our 1st year science classes with the MD school. In addition to those, we also have DPR (Dr.-Patient Relationships), Clinical Skills, and OMM (Osteopathic Manipulative Medicine). After that, the COMers and CHMers have completely different schedules 2nd year. We go by a systems-based curriculum after that. So far, it's been busy, but great (love that I came here!), and I suggest when you come, stay with a 1st year. They'll be able to answer lots of questions. Or you can email me if you want. Good luck again!

Miriam
    MSUCOM Class of 2005

21. wsu

wsu Senior Member

I'M IN!!

Had my interview on Jan.25 and got called on Jan.28 @ 11 a.m. Wow!! What a fast turn around!!!I wish everyone luck and if i can be of any assistance feel free to ask me besides the grades/states please.

22. wsu

wsu Senior Member

Oh by the way, if this interests you, i heard that when i interviewed they had filled 50 spots for the class already..