MSUCOM Secondary

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SM-UCLA tech

CCOM MS4 soon OB/Gyn PGY1
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Oh my god !!!!!

I can't believe how much work this is going to be!!!!

Has anyone else screamed when they saw it?

Does anyone know if the evaluation forms are a necessary part of the application? I feel bad about asking someone who has already taken the time to write a letter of recommendation for me to have to fill that out. The questions for the evaluator are quite thoughtful and will take time to write out. And it is fairly long!

Thanks for any help

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, you need to get the evaluation forms filled out. Yes, the application is long but WORTH IT. The application itself is used to weed out a lot before setting interviews. Most people who inteview get in.

Overall, it is a decent amount of work, but it's a great school. Good luck.

yes, the secondary is long...but really most of the work comes from the people who do your evaluations. i felt the same way you did and that's why i asked people who hadn't already written me recommendations to do mine for msucom. the rest is pretty painless...just get to work on all that extracurricular stuff. that's what took me a long time. but, it paid off because i'm interviewing in two weeks and i only sent the app two weeks ago. good luck and let me know if you have any questions.

Members don't see this ad :)
LECOM also had a "required" DO evaluation form within their application. I called about it and was told that a DO letter could substitute just fine. They said the form is kinda meant for DO's that don't know you very well. Lighthouse says you do need the from (probably sound advise), but you can always call the office to clarify.

thanks for the advice....
I would love to hear more about the school....In august i was at the college of human medicine...and I really loved MSU's campus. I also liked East Lansing....

is Sparrow Hospital used for clinical rotations? That is a very nice hospital......

Very few (and I mean very few) MSU students do years 3 and 4 in Lansing. This includes both schools. Each school only has a few slots in the Lansing area. CHM uses Sparrow, COM uses Ingham County Hospital. Both are great hospitals. Both schools list what hospitals they work with on their websites.

I don't wish to go into detail about the differences between the CHM and the COM schools at MSU in this forum, but if you want to know more, feel free to PM me. Suffice it to say that both schools are good and there are two VERY different cultures of students in the two schools. Also, the difference is great enought that it is easy to tell most students apart without previously knowing which school they are part of.

Hi All!

Lighthouse, do you know where I can get a list of programs that MSUCOM graduates matched into? I have got a list off the website but it is about osteopathic internships.

I am accepted into MSUCOM class 2007 and really want to attend but I may need to move to Arizona bacause of my fiance's job:( . Do you know anything about elective rotations in Pathology? I would like to get into a Path residency in the future.

Thank you very much.

flintstone...

when did you interview and hear from msucom about your acceptance? congratulations by the way. i am interviewing there in less than two weeks. how did your interviews go? any advice for me?

Does anyone know a website where I can go to find the number of applicants to different med schools ( esp. MSU-COM)? I checked MSU-COM's website, but didn't find the numbers.

I started cracking on the secondary as well. It took me forever, especially when I had to start guesstimating how many hours I did this or that or when I started something--seriously---High School too!! I did try to accurately guess as well as possible, and typing it does help a little too. But, it is really long---definately a weekend job.
Does anyone know about residency requirements for Michigan? My Girlfriend is from Holland. Can marry her (not that I'm ready to go get hitched or would do so for that reason). Can I take a year off and work to get instate? My girl is prevet, so there is a pretty big chance she'll get in at MSU. I've applied to both MSU schools in hopes I have a shot at one of them. Anyone else in a similiar dillema?
-=Eric

Ooopss... when I said Holland, I meant Holland, Michigan (crazy dutch people live there)

Did someone from MSUCOM contact you to let you know you had an interview, or did you just check your application status online?

Originally posted by Flintstone
Lighthouse, do you know where I can get a list of programs that MSUCOM graduates matched into? I have got a list off the website but it is about osteopathic internships.

I am accepted into MSUCOM class 2007 and really want to attend but I may need to move to Arizona bacause of my fiance's job:( . Do you know anything about elective rotations in Pathology? I would like to get into a Path residency in the future.

Thank you very much.
No, I don't know about MSUCOM grads and match stats. The only place I can think of that might have it is the AOA site (www.aoa-net.org).

If you go to MSUCOM, I believe you must attend one of their associated base hospitals (all in MI) for your 3rd and 4th year rotations, if that's what you mean. You can do a couple at other hospitals, but most will be at your base hospital. More info on this is on the MSUCOM website.

If you need to be in Arizona, have you applied to AZCOM?

Thanks lighthouse for the info :) Yes, accepted at AZCOM too and may have to go there because of my fiance....I do like MSUCOM more..:oops:
Sorry, Choppa for replying to you late......

I get to know the result of the inteview about one week. I received a letter but they said they will do both.

The interview is very laid back (my point of view) because it is more like a conversation with the professor than an interview. I didn't see any feedback at the interviewfeedback section becuase I think most questions asked were very specific to the individual. If you have written a very special statement, they will talk some about it or comment on it. Then they will look at what you put down on your application. Say, if you have shadowed a D.O., they may ask you about your experience there. Try to relate your experience to increase in understanding of Osteo. philosophy; I believe they are looking for people who understand what they are going into and can express them in words......

I had Dr. Schlinger (a D.O.) and Dr. Beckmeyer (professor, anesthesiologist). They are really nice to me. The secretory told me a bit about them before I got into the interview. The Director of Admissions will also come out (Ms. Schafer) to speak with you while you wait to calm your nerves. I interviewed in the morning and there was just me there on that day. Another candidate was coming in at 10:00am. Obviously, they just do a few interviews per day.

Overall I think you need to prepare to talk about different aspects of your experience as you have put down on your applicatoin. Formulate your answers to show the kind of personality you possess and the depth of your understanding in osteopathic medicine. They hadn't asked me any difficult questions as most questions were like discussions and expressing my opinion.......The good thing is, at least for my interviewers, I could steer conversation towards aspects that I enjoyed talking, etc. They do have a form to fill out (a blue form I believe); and they have to ask you questions on specific areas so that they can fill the form up. I come up with the 5 areas (just guessing) that they include: 1) how much do you understand osteo. medicine; 2) can one relates life experiences to osteo. principles? 3) how do you deal with stress; 4) personality (their impression of it); 5) motivation. Of course, I might be all wrong.......and I might have forgotten some. I gather that is because both interviewers (they are 2 seperate interviews), though different in styles, sort of concentrated the questions on these areas.

Hope that helps. Don't sweat it. The MSU interview is the best interview experience I have had :)

----------------------------
eschauberger: I believe getting a MI residency is worth it in terms of increasing the chance of getting in and considering that your girlfriend isn't going to relocate. Three of the med schools here are state school. I don't know the stat for others schools but MSUCOM takes only about 10??? out-stater. If you are in-state, have OK stats and DID A VERY VERY NICE APPICATION, especially the personal statement, then you have a high chance of getting in. I hope you get into one of the schools you have applied, that solves your problem. I am struggling with where to go as well. I just want to say that MSUCOM treats the secondary very very very seriously and they accept a lot out of those they interviewed.. Just my 2 cents.

flintstone...

no problem about replying so late. i check sdn pretty much all the time (obsessed slightly i suppose). well, you and pretty much everyone else that i have talked to have told me that the MSU interview is very laid back. however, as i'm sure you can imagine, it's hard to relax just because it's my first interview. everyone keeps saying that i'll do fine...but of course i'll still be nervous. i truly and genuinely believe in osteopathic principles and so i'm hoping that will be evident just from my conversation. i haven't actually shadowed a DO but i have done a lot of research on it, have friends who are in DO school and I am really drawn to the field. i've been told that the ad com meets every wednesday morning (and i'm interviewing on a thursday) and that i should be able to find out the following wednesday afternoon by calling the admissions office, however, that particular wednesday happens to be the day before thanksgiving so i'm not sure they'll meet that day. geez...more waiting! are you planning on going to msucom? where are you from? feel free to PM me so we can talk further. thanks so much for all your input. now i just need to get there and get in! thanks again. hope to talk to you again soon!
-katie

choppa...

I can relate to how you feel about first time interviewing. My first one was down in AZCOM. Everyone also kept telling me that it was laid back, even those who came out from the interview on that day (I interviewed last)....but that didn't stop me from getting nervous.....even more so because now that everyone was doing soooo great and I worried that I wouldn't be able to meet up to the standard...I felt like I babbled and even stuttered during the interview cause I was nervous. OK I don't mean to make you feel uncomfortable. But to some extent, the interviewers expect you to be nervous. And even I think I did bad on the AZCOM interview, I was accepted.

Plus, the MSU interview is one on one and you don't have to point out that you haven't shadowed a DO, etc. When you tell them your passion and understanding in the philosophy, they don't really care where you learned it from (that is how I feel).

Anyway, when I interviewed at CCOM, a person from MI told me that they accept more than 90% of those they interviewed, don't know if it is true........I am from MI as well and haven't decided which school to go to because of my fiance. He is looking for a new job and we plan to relocate to the West. If I go MSU and he gets a permanant job in MI, we may never be able to move out of here....

WISH YOU GOOD LUCK :) :)

choppa...

I can relate to how you feel about first time interviewing. My first one was down in AZCOM. Everyone also kept telling me that it was laid back, even those who came out from the interview on that day (I interviewed last)....but that didn't stop me from getting nervous.....even more so because now that everyone was doing soooo great and I worried that I wouldn't be able to meet up to the standard...I felt like I babbled and even stuttered during the interview cause I was nervous. OK I don't mean to make you feel uncomfortable. But to some extent, the interviewers expect you to be nervous. And even I think I did bad on the AZCOM interview, I was accepted.

Plus, the MSU interview is one on one and you don't have to point out that you haven't shadowed a DO, etc. When you tell them your passion and understanding in the philosophy, they don't really care where you learned it from (that is how I feel).

Anyway, when I interviewed at CCOM, a person from MI told me that they accept more than 90% of those they interviewed, don't know if it is true........I am from MI as well and haven't decided which school to go to because of my fiance. He is looking for a new job and we plan to relocate to the West. If I go MSU and he gets a permanant job in MI, we may never be able to move out of here....

WISH YOU GOOD LUCK :) :)

Is anyone else interviewing at MSUCOM on Nov. 26? Just wondering :)