MSUCOM vs. AT Still KCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

csmitter01

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I can't seem to post this in the DO specific forum and did not see any current threads about these schools. I have some thoughts about the pros/cons, but feel free to disagree or point me to resources you feel may be helpful. I am a Michigan resident and attended MSU as an undergraduate. Anyone's input would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

MSU COM (Detroit Campus)
Pros: 1) there seem to be more opportunities available for research, 2) ~9k/year cheaper tuition, 3) urban area with outreach programs, 4) COM appears very transparent
Cons: 1) small satellite class size, 2) Detroit rotation not guaranteed (there are many rural clinical sites)

AT Still KCOM
Pros: 1) seems to have a little bit better of a national reputation ( does anyone know more about the match?), 2) really enjoyed the faculty on the Zoom interview
Cons: 1) rural (I grew up in a town like this, but really would rather live in a city), 2) must travel OOS for rotations, 3) concerned about the lack of research opportunities (although it sounds like there is a lot of OMM work going on)

Members don't see this ad.

MSU and ATSU are both solid DO programs (despite all the Larry Nassar stuff at MSU). When they are toss ups like this, I think the cheaper option is usually better. You'll thank your future self by saving ~$50k after interest. ATSU may have the slight edge as the first DO school, but I don't think the "prestige" difference is worth $50k. Prestige isn't really a thing when it comes to DO schools anyways.