MSUCOM vs MSUCHM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tugbuggy

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
O

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
DO you are pretty much out of the running for Ophtho. Your MCAT and undergrad GPA don't mean anything come residency time.

Yes, CHM will give you a better opportunity to match ophtho (I say this as a COM grad who thought I got a great education). DO vs MD certainly matters when it comes to what tier of program will interview you in certain fields and whether the door will be open to an average applicant in ultra-competitive specialties.

The majority of specialties would be open to you as a COM graduate, however.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the replies guys. What specialties do you guys think would not be open to me as a com graduate?

Yes, CHM will give you a better opportunity to match ophtho (I say this as a COM grad who thought I got a great education). DO vs MD certainly matters when it comes to what tier of program will interview you in certain fields and whether the door will be open to an average applicant in ultra-competitive specialties.

Thanks for the replies guys. What specialties do you guys think would not be open to me as a com graduate?
Derm/ophtho/nsgy/urology will be more open if you go to CHM. Of course they're always competitive, but being a DO puts you a step behind and we've only had a handful match into each over the last few years.

Although above is roughly true, I know someone who chose MSUCOM over the MD program and is now a urology resident at DMC

It's on you, not the letters after your name.

Reactions: 1 users