MSUCOM vs Western COMP (Pomona)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

d3premed

Reaction score
Hi! Need help to decide between two of my acceptances. I know no one can make this decision for me, just wanted some fresh eyes!

MSUCOM: in state, big school, well reputed

Western COMP: the biggest thing that is making it hard for me to easily pick MSUCOM is residency. I really want to be in California for residency, and that seems nearly impossible to do while going to MSUCOM.

If anyone has any insights, please let me know! Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

MSUCOM is probably the better school w/ a lot more resources than COMP. The biggest deterrent for me when I applied was the price tag of OSS at MSUCOM but you are IS so it should be cheaper. With that said, DO schools match best in their immediate area but it is not impossible to match into California from MSUCOM, you just have to show your commitment and jump through a few more hoops.

Also, not sure why its impossible for MSUCOM students to match California. A lot of people who go there probably are from the area or want to match in the area so the majority of their list is in the area. Maybe there just isn't that much interest in matching in California at that school.

Reactions: 1 user
MSUCOM is probably the better school w/ a lot more resources than COMP. The biggest deterrent for me when I applied was the price tag of OSS at MSUCOM but you are IS so it should be cheaper. With that said, DO schools match best in their immediate area but it is not impossible to match into California from MSUCOM, you just have to show your commitment and jump through a few more hoops.

Also, not sure why its impossible for MSUCOM students to match California. A lot of people who go there probably are from the area or want to match in the area so the majority of their list is in the area. Maybe there just isn't that much interest in matching in California at that school.
Thanks! I think MSUCOM is likely the better decision as well. Any advice for things I could do even starting in my first year to try to show my interest in matching in California?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey there,

Posted already but wanted to post again with some updates. Still cannot decide whether to stick to MSUCOM or WesternU COMP, any advice would be helpful!

MSUCOM

Pros: in state, close to family, big school, obviously very well known, has great resources, curriculum seems to be more boards oriented

Cons: I do not want to practice in Michigan, seems like not many people are able to match out of the state (and I want to specifically match in California for residency), and starts so early

WesternU COMP

Pros: in California, and many students match to programs in the state which is important to me, good summer break, give students a “conference week” break after each assessment week which seems good for mental health

Cons: small school (don’t know if I would adjust very well), lesser reputed than MSUCOM, not in state for me (more $$$), curriculum seems to be less boards oriented

Another point: after speaking to students at both schools, it seems that MSUCOM has much more frequent exams than COMP. COMP has fewer exams that cover a greater depth of material. I don’t know what most medical students would prefer since I haven’t experienced any of these curriculums yet, but if anyone can help with their insights, I’d really appreciate it!

If you want to match in California, go to the CA school. WesternU and MSUCOM are both great schools.

how much more is westernu over MUSOM?

Just fyi, conference week is chill yes, but they tend to fill it up with some useless mandatory classes for "wellness" or other such classes.

Threads merged to show updated information. Rent has gone up significantly in many areas of Southern California so the amount that you can receive in government loans may not be enough. It would be tough for an OOS student to navigate that as well as the travel needed for rotations.

Keep in mind that where u end up practicing is up to you. You can move after residency if you need, you're not stuck where you match. I'd go with MSU for cheaper cost overall.

High key I am in the same position. But I am in-state for COMP. I just got off the waitlist for COMP today. I am also already 3 days into orientation at MSUCOM. The faculty are super genuine and sweet. It seems like mental health, international travel, and COMmunities are their priority. I’ms scared that if I ship back home to WesternU, the resources there won’t be as good. Can anybody speak to this??