MSW applying for PhD psych programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fruedgirl

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,
I hope to get some direction. I finished my MSW in May '09 and have been disappointed with what I can really do with it. I'm considering applying to PhD programs in psychology to learn more, do some research, and come out on the other side with much better prospects.
Has anyone else gone this route? Will an MSW help me in my applications to PhD programs? Or is it irrelevant? Will it help that my MSW was from an Ivy League school? Is it a big problem that I don't have any publications to my name?

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Your MSW will llikely help you but moreso in Psy.D. programs than PhD programs. However, you will have to explain why you left social work so quickly.

What are your research interests? Did you leave SW because you want to do research? Honestly, a psychologist can't do much more than a social worker.

How's your graduate GPA? It could also help you if you gained a high graduate GPA that you are able to show you can do graduate coursework. Also, you can talk about your experience on how and why you are switching fields on your statement of purpose.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the input.

To answer your questions, I do want to get into a PhD program to do research, however, I do like to practice but I feel the MSW has ill-prepared me to do this well. Also, I was frustrated with the political nature of Social Work (i.e. doing what is perceived as politically correct instead of investigating what has a scientific basis) and, to be honest, I was also frustrated at how easy the classes were.

You are right that on the practice level, there is not much difference between what an LCSW and a Psychologist can do, but I think I would maybe like to teach and do research in addition to practicing, and this is difficult to do with an LCSW.

My graduate GPA is very good and I am confident I can handle graduate-level work. However, I think a weakness to my application would be that I have little experience doing research on a graduate level. I was on a research team in undergrad on a paper that got published, but I didn't write any of it and my name is not on it. Should I claim this somehow in my application? At least the experience of doing the "grunt work" or research (data entry, recruiting subject, etc.)

I have to work full-time to support myself (as a therapist) and so I don't think getting an RA position is possible for me. I'm not sure what you mean by "diagnostic interviewing", but at the end of my first session with clients I diagnose them using the DSM. I have been trained on how to use the DSM to diagnose clients and have training in differential diagnosis.

I mean structured interviews, such as the SCID, HAM-D, HAM-A, ADIS. That would beef up your application. Many successful applicants (dare I say "most"?) to solid PhD programs have significant research experience, so if it's possible to even adjust your therapy schedule so you can volunteer in a lab a few hours a week, that might help. I thought that if you had some structured interview training, many labs would welcome that sort of volunteer. They might be willing to train if you can adjust your schedule and offer services as a free diagnostician for 5 hours/week.

Oh I see what you mean. I am somewhat familiar with those structured interviews, but not trained in them. Unfortunately the only time I would have to volunteer would be on the weekends, when most labs are closed, but I will look into it, thanks for the advice!

You will need to find some time to invest in research endeavors if you want to be competitive at even very balanced ph.d programs. There is just no way around it.

So, updates.....

I am looking around my city to volunteer at some research labs (sending my CV along with a nice email) and I got two bites! I'm meeting with a prof tomorrow night to talk about her research. I'm stoked about this, because she does interesting work. In the meantime I'm still working my full-time job as a clinician, and studying for the GRE's. So I'll keep you guys updated and thanks for the great advice!

also, what else should I be doing at this point? Would it help to submit a paper I wrote (with my mentor) to a journal even if I'm pretty sure it will be rejected?

Any updates?

I'd like to do a clinical PhD, but since my background is in music, I might need to attend a master's program first. Obviously doing a masters in counseling or clinical psych makes a lot of sense, but I'd rather do an MSW in case I decide against going to school for another seven years (will be nine years at that point). Being an LCSW seems to be much more practical than being an MFT or LMHC.

Any updates?

I'd like to do a clinical PhD, but since my background is in music, I might need to attend a master's program first. Obviously doing a masters in counseling or clinical psych makes a lot of sense, but I'd rather do an MSW in case I decide against going to school for another seven years (will be nine years at that point). Being an LCSW seems to be much more practical than being an MFT or LMHC.

I think this varies by state/city. The conventional wisdom seems to be that the MSW travels better between states (in terms of licensing) and may be more employable, but many of those MSW jobs may be...well more "social work" than therapy-based. Keep in mind that the training for the different licensable masters level degrees is different.

Reactions: 1 user