MSW: Future Career in Veteran's Affairs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

footballfan90

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am applying for MSW programs this fall, and am looking for programs that would offer excellent curriculum and practicum experiences that would prepare me for a future career as a social worker with the United States Dept. of Veteran's Affairs.

My top choices thus far are: University of Washington (unfortunately very difficult to receive admission as an in-state student), University of Illinois at Chicago, Columbia University, CUNY-Hunter College, Fordham University, University of Chicago, University of Pittsburgh, and Portland State University (safety school).

To all past and present MSW students with personal experience or any information regarding MSW programs offering preparation for a career with the VA, I would be grateful for any advice! I am trying to find out what the typical concentration would be for an MSW student with these aspirations, any information about VA practicum experiences, what I should look for in a program, post-grad job availability, etc. I would be interested in finding out if anyone attended one of the schools mentioned in the previous paragraph, and suggestions for another MSW program with this emphasis. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

I am applying for MSW programs this fall, and am looking for programs that would offer excellent curriculum and practicum experiences that would prepare me for a future career as a social worker with the United States Dept. of Veteran's Affairs.

My top choices thus far are: University of Washington (unfortunately very difficult to receive admission as an in-state student), University of Illinois at Chicago, Columbia University, CUNY-Hunter College, Fordham University, University of Chicago, University of Pittsburgh, and Portland State University (safety school).

To all past and present MSW students with personal experience or any information regarding MSW programs offering preparation for a career with the VA, I would be grateful for any advice! I am trying to find out what the typical concentration would be for an MSW student with these aspirations, any information about VA practicum experiences, what I should look for in a program, post-grad job availability, etc. I would be interested in finding out if anyone attended one of the schools mentioned in the previous paragraph, and suggestions for another MSW program with this emphasis. Thank you!

USC in California has a military concentration for their MSW program.

Glad to hear you are considering a career with the VA! In terms of salary, flexibility, and job stability (hopefully this continues as the government shuts down :laugh:); the VA OR the military are the best to work for.

The type of program you want to focus on is a clinical social work program. Upon graduation, you will have the same credentials as everyone else (even the administrative focused social workers) but you will be more marketable to the VA or Military. It honestly doesn't matter about what specific name of program you go to. Look for established universities that are within close proximity to a VA campus. This ensures that they have probably collaborated with the VA university liaisons to make a good partnership for internships/practicums. Make sure the VA that is within range of the university provides the type of services in which you would be interested in studying, whether it is a substance abuse inpatient specialty program or whatever.

There is no specific MSW program that preps you for a career with the VA. There is however a program at Fayetteville State University which has a military social work program. This is the only program in existence with an actual military social work program and has an exclusive contract with the U.S. Army. They bring in people as soldiers and as civilians. The pay is the same as the VA, and being a military social worker, you get to move up the career ladder more.

I did my internship with a VA hospital, and had 5 different job offers across the U.S. within 2 months post graduation. Getting VA experience in an internship is absolutely a foot in the door in terms of beginning a career with them. If you are coming in with no government experience, it will be VERY difficult.

So in summary. Look for a university that has a internship partnership with a well-respected VA hospital, and you will be good to go.