MSW Graduate wants competitive Psy.D in Clinical Psychology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thoughtmod

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi. I am going to be a MSW graduate in 2010 at Fordham. I chose social work because I knew that I wanted to provide psychotherapy and knew that was the quickest way to do it. I have always loved psychology, but I wasn't sure that I was prepared to pursue a doctorate at that time. So....

I know now that I DO want to pursue a doctorate in Psychology because I simply want the best academic training possible in order to be the best clinician I can be and I am also interested in researching the process of psychotherapy. I believe that I would like to get into a competitive Psy.D program like Rutgers or Indiana State. I have a bachelor's in Psych, but I wasn't the best student back then. I currently have a 4.0 and plan to keep it that way. In order to prepare to get into a Psy.D program, I would think that I need to get involved with research, but to tell you the truth I'm not interested in a lot of the social work research topics and there is not a great collaboration between students and faculty in the social work department here.

What do you think about me getting a MA in General Psych first? I have enough money to do it. Regardless, I plan to practice for 3 years after I get my MSW and then go back to school whether it be for a MA in General Psych to bolster my chances of getting into a rigorous PsyD. program or even PhD. program. Does anyone have any experience in making a transition like this? It's backwards as hell, but I want to get the best schooling I can.

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

If you get an MSW and practice in a setting where you get experience with serious mental illness or acute care and learn about clinical treatment models you could easily be competitive for programs like Rutgers. I'd contact some faculty at programs of interest and ask about treatment settings that employ MSWs and see how you might get work that would allow you to develop contacts and gain training that would help with applications later (eg: psychoanalytic settings like Austin Riggs or William Alanson White, or DBT practice, setting that is doing process research on a treatment model,PTSD etc.). I think 3 years of clinical practice in a setting like this is more valuable than a general psych MA and will wipe out the effects of undergrad GPA.

I tend to agree with docma. If you get some applied research experience and solid clinical experience with the MSW, you should be competitive for a number of programs. The exception might be the very research-heavy phd programs in clinical psych...but psyd and balanced phd progs should not be out of reach for you. Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think you need to go to your faculty and ask to go out of the department. I went outside of the social work department for my research. I'm sure that might be an option for you as well depending upon your advisor.

I agree that getting an MA in psych immediately after your MSW is sort of silly. If you want to transition, do it now as it seems you are only half way into the MSW program.

Just make sure you have the pre-reqs from either undergrad or, if not, take them at the grad level. If you remain in the MSW programs, you should be able to still take electives from the psych dept and get them covered under your current degree funding.

I had a crap ton of undergrad psych classes... about 30... so I am not too worried about pre-reqs but I'm still going to take a psych dept stats class this summer just to prepare for doctoral level stats. That's one area where I want to make sure I'm on par with the other students.

"I chose social work because I knew that I wanted to provide psychotherapy",

And Yoda said,

Forever remember what I have told you about sociology. The dark side are they. Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny. Luke... Luke... do not... do not underestimate the powers of the psychologist or suffer your fate you will. Luke, when gone am I... the last of the psychologists will you be. Luke, the Force runs strong in your family. Pass on what you have learned, Luke.

Sorry... I couldn't resist...

Good luck with your pursuits, I would not go for an MA in Psych, find a doctoral program and if need be get the research experience you need before hand without attending an MA program.

Mark

Thanks for the input fellows. I am going to try and find out if I can do some research outside of the department and then hopefully land a job practicing psychotherapy and get some clinical training as well. Getting an MA does sound kind of silly.