MSW, LMHT, JD, or MBA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KushKemet

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Although a masters in mental health counseling (LMHT) is what initially sparked my interest, I started noticing a certain trend of discontent in many of their professional sites and blogs about how frustrating they found it that their profession doesn’t have the same level of gravitas or the professional and political support as individuals with their MSW’s (masters in social work), at least here in Florida. And many of the students I talked to already in mental health programs (LMHT) voiced similar sentiments about how they wished that their discipline wasn’t as individual focused and could be more inclusive of considering the entire environment impacting the individual for treating clients the way it is required for social work counselors. I found out that Social work is a broad range field from hands on case work to clinical counseling, and if I should decide there is a direct link to the Doctoral Program in Public Affairs that a MSW would enable me to apply for. Another side to this discussion is that my wife, a physician, is interested in starting a business where we would provide day care for the elderly here in Fl. The same concepts as day care for small children but in this case it would be seniors that we would care for. While I currently have a M.A. in English, I am wondering if a JD, or a MBA would be more useful than a MSW for running human services type day care center for the elderly. I would appreciate any input.
Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

@KushKemet All professions have downsides. I am not sure how a law degree will fit in to what you want to do. An MBA may work since you want to start a business, but I am not very familiar with MBAs so that is something you will have to look up.

From what you are saying in this post, it does look like social work would be most useful. Many administrators of various human service organizations are social workers.

Members don't see this ad :)
While I currently have a M.A. in English, I am wondering if a JD, or a MBA would be more useful than a MSW for running human services type day care center for the elderly.

Not a JD. Probably not an MBA. Social work, perhaps. Also consider nursing. There are nursing/healthcare administration dual degree programs that might set you up well to do something like this.

Reactions: 1 user
MBA.
JDs don't make $ these days.
MSWs burn out and are underpaid.
And I'm biased towards MSW vs other mental health Master degrees because it is a very flexible degree.

However, if you want to start a business, and make money, MBA your best bet. If you need info regarding legal stuff for running a business, get a one-year LLM on top of that.

also there are 2 PHD programs I've found where you can do a dual Phd in Social work and another field, getting your MSW along the way. And they're fully funded.

Hi. I hope I can help in some way. Of course, whatever you decide to choose should be what's best for you, but I will share my experience with you hoping it can help in some way. I'm currently a student in Florida International University (FIU) in Miami, Fl. Therefore, we are in the same state. I'm currently taking and almost done with my Mental Health Counseling degree. I was originally doing MSW in Barry University and transferred due to their high tuition (Like $960 credit). Originally I decided to do the MSW because it has been around longer and more employers choose it over MHC, therefore, I recommend the MSW over the MHC, but that is slowly starting to change. The training is different since social work is more about policies etc and MHC is more clinical counseling. Also, as of now I recently found out I need to take an exit exam to even receive my degree and graduate which is the CPCE Exam, I was not ever aware of having to take that as an MSW and I asked other MSW's about it and they didn't have to take that but don't go by my word there as I'm not sure for MSW's. Therefore, I advise you to look into this and compare the differences based on what's best for you. I personally do not recommend the MBA as my undergraduate is in business and it doesn't do much for me, the MBA could be good for someone who is already an executive, manager at a large company or of course if you feel you prefer the training. I'm sure you could learn some stuff but I'm sure you could also learn it without having to pay for it. As far as the JD, my long term boyfriend has a JD and it has been worth it for him and it does pay very well but you need to have ambition and push yourself as law firms can be strict on the credentials of the attorneys they hire, often even looking at your transcripts, this is not all law firms of course not so don't be discouraged. Importantly for me, I do wish in some ways I would of chosen another field that pays more as money has become more important to me than when I first chose this field. Some fields like physical therapy only require a doctorate which can be done from 2-3 years depending on the school and can be done right after the undergraduate degree and the pay ranges from $70k and up. Best of luck to you.

The CPCE is for MHC students so MSW students do not have to take it. I'm surprised your program and/or advisor did not inform you of the exam as an exit requirement. That is usually in most programs' handbooks for students covering policies for the program.

The CPCE is for MHC students so MSW students do not have to take it. I'm surprised your program and/or advisor did not inform you of the exam as an exit requirement. That is usually in most programs' handbooks for students covering policies for the program.

That's good to know, one of the reasons I feel MSW is a better route. Thanks for the information. Actually this program has not been very good, they don't even have a dean, they have a "kinda" dean, they move professors around all the time and often don't have enough professors. There is no set curriculum to follow unlike most Grad schools. In most classes you learn nothing or the same information repeated (there are some exceptions). It is similar to undergrad where you receive a set of classes you must take but there's not an exact order, also they let more students into the program than the ones they have room for and a lot of classes get full instantly, leaving other students in the program with only 1 or 2 classes for a semester. I wish I would of been told this before I applied. I'm almost done and to me it has been worth it financially at least.

MSWs have their own licensing exam to take. Not sure if there is a "capstone" exam before graduating for MSW programs. Sorry to hear your program has not met your expectations, that is a cause for concern around lack of training. Hopefully you are getting good guidance from professors.

MSWs have their own licensing exam to take. Not sure if there is a "capstone" exam before graduating for MSW programs. Sorry to hear your program has not met your expectations, that is a cause for concern around lack of training. Hopefully you are getting good guidance from professors.
Yeah we have a licensing exam to take as well once we're done with the program much like MSW's which is after about 2 years of working in the field. Thanks for your information. As far as the program, the most important classes have gone well and with so many exams and books that you need to read on your own it can help the students with their training. They have a practicum followed by an internship in which it can be very helpful and of course the CPCE exam. I guess I just don't want to discourage anyone who is set to attend FIU's program as is not awful but at this point not well organized but can work for someone who is very independent, maybe they're (FIU) just going through a lot of changes.