• Funniest Story on the Job Contest Starts Now!

Contest starts now and ends September 27th. Winner will receive a special user banner and $10 Amazon Gift card!

JOIN NOW
  • Site Updates Coming Next Week

Site updates are coming next week on Monday and Friday. Click the button below to learn more!

LEARN MORE

MSW: Military/Veterans Focused

FMSW

Jan 25, 2013
  1. Other Health Professions Student
I'm looking at Grad Schools to apply to for my MSW. Coming from a military family and having taken a good deal of military focused courses, I've realized that I absolutely want to a pursue a career as a Social Worker at the VA or with the military. All that being said, what would be the best way to prepare myself for that line of work? Are there any suggestions on which MSW programs out there produce the most competitive graduates for positions with the VA?

I saw USC's Military/Veterans Social Work specialization but it is extremely expressive so I'm hesitant in going that route. If that school does offer the best opportunity for employment in that field I suppose it would be the best option but I'm hoping some of you may have other suggestions on where to go for schooling.

Also, are there are MSW programs that are known for placing their students in VAs/military bases during Field Placements?

Thank you!

MissesKathy

Dec 10, 2012
  1. Pre-Psychology
Are you only interested in working as a civilian with the military, or are you also wanting information on programs that would require an active duty obligation?

Also,are you geographically limited in your choices, or willing to move for school?

About the Ads

MissesKathy

Dec 10, 2012
  1. Pre-Psychology
The army has a MSW program as well, an accelerated 1 year program followed by two years of an army sw internship, separated into six month increments in different clinics/ specialty areas, and then you owe five years active duty. I believe you get officers pay and benefits while attending school and during internship, but I have not been able to confirm this yet. Oh yeah, the program is through fayetteville state university, btw, but it is an offsite program located at fort Sam houston, Texas.

FMSW

Jan 25, 2013
  1. Other Health Professions Student
I am looking only as a civilian. Enlisting is not an option due to disability.
Moving is definitely an option...basically my own one due to the fact that the schools in my state do not offer such coursework. I was looking at USC due to the fact that it was online and I could save some money by not having to move, but after realizing how much tuition was I know I need to be open to moving.

MissesKathy

Dec 10, 2012
  1. Pre-Psychology
A lot of schools offer internship placements at VA hospitals or working with military, but they cannot promise you will get one of these slots. I would assume that almost any school in close proximity to a military base or VA hospital would have that possibility. Smith College has a great program with great placements, so definitely check that out- it is a little pricey as well, but not as bad at USC. For a list of programs offering some coursework in serving military populations or military placements, check this site: http://www.cswe.org/Meetings/36308/36310.aspx

About the Ads
This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.