MSW/MPH Dual Degree Programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iwashmycar

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I'm looking for some recommendations from people who are currently enrolled or have graduated from MSW/MPH Dual Degree programs...

I'm in the process of applying to MSW programs for Fall '11 and I'm trying to select schools with strong clinical MSW programs as well as strong MPH programs in health education (i.e. social/behavioral health). My plan is to apply to the MSW program first and apply to the MPH program my first year (as typically recommended by the program). I've narrowed it down to:

UMich
Columbia
UWash
BostonU

Does anyone have any other suggestions? Can anyone let me know if they did something similar when choosing which MSW/MPH programs to apply to, and whether they are satisfied with their decision (is the extra time/money worth the extra degree, etc.).

Thanks in advance everybody. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone I'm in the same boat, if anyone has any insight on the post above please reply. Thank you!

Edit:
More MSW/MPH Programs:
UMB/ Johns Hopkins (have to apply to programs simutaneously)
Berkely
NYU

Last edited:
Tulane has a program that can be completed in two years...full-time. This includes 18-19 per semester, including a summer session.

Members don't see this ad :)
What exactly does a graduate with a MPH degree do upon graduation? Or a better question, what are the options for an individual with a MPH degree?

I just wanted to follow up and say that I would be interested in hearing whether MPH/MSW dual degrees have helped any of you or your friends out...

What exactly does a graduate with a MPH degree do upon graduation? Or a better question, what are the options for an individual with a MPH degree?

policy work
health education
research

For folks who've done this combination or are thinking about it-- what can you do with MSW/MPH together that you couldn't do with either degree separately? I mean, you can get an MPH and maybe a certificate in counseling and then do public health education work along with social work-y stuff... or you could get an MSW and specialize in health education promotion (I know I've seen programs like this, can't think of them off the top of my head)? I guess it just kinda seems like an expensive option, but maybe I'm missing something.

If I'm not mistaken, UCLA permits folks to do both the MSW and MPH. UCLA also has a cluster of classes in women's health, if that is of any interest.