MSW or MPH

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ensight21

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I know that many people tend to complete dual degrees in an MSW/MPH but I only applied to MPH and psychology programs this year. I am doubting the psychology route as I am unsure of my interest in therapy or research. However, I am very curious to know what you all think about an MPH versus an MSW?

I would eventually like to work within areas of program evaluation/implementation, campaigns/communications, or even global programming. But then again, I am completely up in the air and would be open to many things.

thanks,

Members don't see this ad.

Well, first of all, I want to recommend a school... UNC Chapel Hill. (hate the basketball, love the public health program) When I went, the sph was 2nd in the nation, tied w/Harvard behind Johns Hopkins.

The school has changed and retooled the structure a bit but I am sure that the HBSE track is still there... and that sounds like a good fit for what you'd like to do... You could also tack on an MSW if that interests you as well.

To me, the degrees are natural extensions of one another if the curriculums are thorough... one will teach you what the possibilities of human behavior are within the realm of your focus... and the other will teach you how to measure, understand, interpret, and implement change to those behaviors...

Technically, both programs should do that... but obviously both do so with varying approaches and levels of intricacy...

That being said... I also think you could complete your goals with a single MSW or single MPH (a lot of schools do the MSPH if you have no intention of getting your dph)... your internship and research in either would be your foundation... so just choose well and you can go as far as your abilities and motivation will carry you!!!

Good luck !

Hi there, thank you so much for your response. I would have loved to have UNC-CH as an option but I only applied to Hopkins. That is the program that I am accepted into now. My concern is no financial aid and paying that much money when I could wait a year and try for other programs with maybe some financial aid. However, that would be ANOTHER year in delaying myself and I have NO idea what to do in the mean time for work without an MPH or MSW.

I do appreciate your insight very much. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh dear, yes, no financial aid at that program is death... it is SO expensive. Still, congrats on the acceptance, it's a great program.

Do they still have the free online courses? Ha. You could play around and see if the sph has any online and make sure it's truly of interest before you invest in the loans.

As for waiting a year... it is possible some MSW programs might still be accepting applicants. I don't guess that would help much if you aren't sure of a direction just yet.

If I can offer any wisdom... it's to embrace your indecision as a gift. The fact that so many roads feel promising to you is something not to be taken for granted. There are people on earth who don't do anything because there's nothing they want to do... to be temporarily stalled because there are so many things you want to do... can be special. Just don't get stuck... keep taking steps forward.

Good luck with your decisions... I know they aren't easy.

What amazing advice! Thank you so much. This is the first time I have stopped to be grateful for such a range of interests. I really appreciate that perspective.