MSW Schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thepsychgeek

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is there any kind of compilation of MSW programs by focus? Right now I'm trying to draw up a list of schools to apply to (by going through the CWSE links), but it's taking a long time, and some of the schools don't even have the emphases I'm considering.

Added Question:
Also, why do the MSW programs require a biology class having been taken? Do you think I have a chance without having one?

Members don't see this ad.

What is the emphasis that you are seeking?

Are you looking in a specific area?

I don't know of any such compilation but it sounds like a good idea...

I'm looking for a path that will eventually lead to private practice (so MH oriented, as well as micro, rather than macro focus), as well as a semi-focus in work with an LGBT population.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm afraid I didn't get it... which is disappointing, as I am now intrigued.

NYU meets both of your criteria- I'd look at Columbia and Yeshiva, too, although I don't know for sure..

regarding the bio requirment, my suspicion is that is something of a pre-req for the human development course you'll be required to take.

NYU meets both of your criteria- I'd look at Columbia and Yeshiva, too, although I don't know for sure..

regarding the bio requirment, my suspicion is that is something of a pre-req for the human development course you'll be required to take.

Excellent, thanks for that. Also? I love your signature line AND your avatar.

I'm sorry, I put NYU in there too... I have one other program, which is what I sent specifics on, but didnt' think the specifics needed to be public... I'll resend... :)

I don't think my program required any courses other than at least 21 hrs of social science classes.

I wish we could bump this thread up. I've been trying to figure out the quality of the various schools offering MSW and it's tricky. I know that you're supposed to look for a program to cater to what you want to do, but knowing which universities have a reputation wouldn't hurt. I keep hearing about the NY and CA schools, but what about all the other states? Are they left out in the cold?

Not at all.. there's a bunch of good ones in the midwest and such. I can send you a version of the list I made... it really depends on what you're doing though (for instance, I'm looking at mostly East Coast because most of the clinical programs are E.C). They're all over the place- the CWSE website has them listed by state).