MSW to Clinical Psyc PhD, feasible?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fsura001

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So lately I have been trying to figure out what I'm going to do if I don't get into any of the Clinical/Counseling Psych doctoral programs that I applied to. My backup plan was to get into a Masters Counseling psychology program with a thesis track and then reapply to PhD programs after. However, now I am thinking that it might be better for me to do an MSW and then reapply.

I would like some opinions: Do you think that it might be better to go for a MS in counseling psych or an MSW? Has anyone tried going from an MSW to a PhD in counseling or clinical psychology?

Thank you in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

So lately I have been trying to figure out what I'm going to do if I don't get into any of the Clinical/Counseling Psych doctoral programs that I applied to. My backup plan was to get into a Masters Counseling psychology program with a thesis track and then reapply to PhD programs after. However, now I am thinking that it might be better for me to do an MSW and then reapply.

I would like some opinions: Do you think that it might be better to go for a MS in counseling psych or an MSW? Has anyone tried going from an MSW to a PhD in counseling or clinical psychology?

Thank you in advance.

I guess I dont see any advantages of getting a degree in Social Work, then going to counseling psychology. I have tremendous respect for social work, but I would imagine that the getting a masters degree in social work would not be as helpful as one in counseling. With a masters in counseling, you're showing that you're into that field and you want to continue on after that.

Members don't see this ad :)

I don't see any advantage with going for an MSW if you want to get a Ph.D. in Counseling/Clinical. At the MS level, a social work degree is very flexible and I recommend it for people who want to do direct patient work. However, if your goal is a doctoral degree in a different area, you time is better spent in an MA/MS program that will provide research experience (most likely a non-terminal, non-licensable degree meant as a stepping stone to a Ph.D/Psy.D.). Applying for a full-time RA spot would also be helpful, though they can be just as competitive as a MA/MS stepping stone program.

Thank you in advance.

Being someone who was a masters level clinician (MFT) I can say that social workers have more options than the other professions (MFT, LPC). Transfer credit is important if you are sure that you want a doctorate and at most you will get 30 credits towards a doctorate and be required to complete all internship and practicum as other psychology students if you plan to complete an APA PsyD/PhD. Either way you will loose credits. Out here in California, some doctoral programs require a masters degree for entrance (Pepperdine). Hope this helps.

Thank you for you responses.

While my goal at the end of the day is to do all three: research, practice and teach I just fear never being able to get into a PhD program. In the event that I don't get into a doctoral program the MSW, given the versatility it affords, seems to be a great option. I see a lot people in academia with MSWs, being able to supervise, work in research and have their practice. My issue is licensure, I am currently in Florida so I will be eligible for the Mental Health Counseling license (LMHC) but if I want to move to another state like California I wouldn't know how to go about getting licensed. I think MSWs have it easier in that respect as it seems that the license is transferable to other states.

OPINIONS? THOUGHTS?

Thanks!

I have my MSW which I completed a few years ago.. I am applying to PsyD programs, but I have been fairly successful with obtaining interviews. The opportunity to have some post masters clinical experience was a plus... The education experience gave me more time to figure out areas of interest for possible dissertations.
FYI- My alma mater Fordham- has a research track in their MSW program which offers you the chance to put together a fairly sizable project.
Plus the license is fairly easy to transfer between nearly all states.