msw to psyd

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jwtaylor

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone here have any experience with this? I want to go into social work in the immediate future. however, i haven't rule out the possibility of going into clinical psych. would clinical social work be an adequate preparation for a psyd program? also, are you aware of any programs that have an msw to psyd program. i believe pcom has one last i checked, but i havent looked in a long while.

Members don't see this ad.

Although you can certainly get good experience with psych populations and good counseling skills with a MSW, social work is a very different field than clincial psych. Orientations, focus, and conceptualization of psychopathology are very different in the 2 fields. Moreover, the job duties/responsibilities of psychologists are very different from social workers. The jobs have little in common except for the populations they tend to work with. Getting a MSW first is fine, but realize that the degree itself will carry little weight when applying to Psy.D. or Ph.D programs in clincial. However, the experiences you get will working will look good in an application, but its not going to get you in.

I've never heard of an MSW-PsyD program. I don't see how any of the coursework could count as direct transfer since they are in two different departments.

That being said, I think the MSW's benefit to you in PsyD apps will depend on the orientation of your MSW program, your field placement, and where you choose to work after your degree is issued. Also, whether or not you have gone on to obtain licensure as a clinical social worker.

There are clinical MSW programs. I am a product of one such program. It was over 60 credit hours and only 3 were dedicated to generalist topics. All of the others were on theory, practice, and psychopath. We did not have to complete a generalist field placement and, instead, went directly into a tiered clinical placement. We started off shadowing in semester 1, several sites, choosing by semester 2 and becoming oriented to our new placement, doing our first applied experiences, etc. During the summer, fall, spring that followed most of us were entirely practicing in some form. Of course, under supervision of a direct supervisor in the field, a supervisor at the school, and peer review weekly as part of small class sections for field discussion.

In a PsyD program, I think these experiences will help because you will already have exposure to the ideas being presented. You will have a context to file them away. When someone says 32 year old female presenting in the ER w/labile mood, past hx of sa, and recent trauma of miscarriage due to medical illness... that will mean a little more b/c you might be able to refer back to some similar situations. The classwork will be different, more research, more theory, sort of an extension of the work you completed in your MSW (assuming you attended a clinical program).

I don't know that going into an MSW program w/the intent of transferring to a PsyD immediately afterward makes good financial sense. MSW programs are NOT typically funded. I had an assistanceship but no stipend. Most programs operate on a similar plane. You aren't likely to be as competitve as MA psych applicants if you are going in w/zero clinical experience outside of your field placement so you wouldn't be as likely to obtain psyd funding. If your intent is to definitely and immediately transfer to a PsyD program, then just go to a PsyD program straight out of school. You can always leave with your MA psych and practice in that way.

So, in conclusion, MSW can be good preparation for PsyD but will probably only give you a competitive edge on apps if you have licensed practice experience under your belt. Otherwise, you would likely fall behind the MA Psych kids trying to gain admission just b/c they have already proven themselves within the field. If you are looking just from an experience perspective, a clinical MSW will give you tremendous insight into the experience of being a mental health professional.... you will BE a mental health professional. The PsyD will expand on the things you have already learned and add new tools as well (testing, assessment, more in depth understanding of why you choose which modality)

Confused? Sorry... I only tend to write when I'm exhausted and can't sleep... be well and good luck!