Mt Sinai Beth Israel residency closing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sr612089

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was told by someone BI is closing a bunch of its residencies. Is that true? I am planning to apply this cycle and am wondering if its worth applying there.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know about the residencies, but numerous articles have appeared in the press suggesting that the entire hospital might close. Residents would presumably be shifted to other Mt Sinai affiliated programs, but nothing has been made official last I heard ( but maybe I missed it ). But it definitely seems as if something big is going on there. Some rumors suggest it will become a small outpatient facility. Very unclear right now.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I was told by someone BI is closing a bunch of its residencies. Is that true? I am planning to apply this cycle and am wondering if its worth applying there.

Check a source of truth - the ACGME Website Looks like two each in 2013-2014 and 2014-2015 and one in 2015-2016 so far. So, 'worth applying' depends if these are your specialty of choice.

Reactions: 1 user
I heard it's closing slowly and will shut down in about 4 years or so. I wouldn't apply there, there's no future there. There's a ton of residencies in New York City.

Reactions: 1 users
I heard it's closing slowly and will shut down in about 4 years or so. I wouldn't apply there, there's no future there. There's a ton of residencies in New York City.

Why you would want to attend one, however, is beyond me.

Reactions: 7 users
Why you would want to attend one, however, is beyond me.

Don't hate bro they are the finest institutions in america bought and paid for by the richest financiers in the country or the middle east

Reactions: 3 users
Seeing the St Vincent residents scattered across the country should scare anyone off from applying to a program at a hospital that's that unstable.

Don't hate bro they are the finest institutions in america bought and paid for by the richest financiers in the country or the middle east

Personally I like my med schools financed by heirs of tobacco barons.

Members don't see this ad :)
What's wrong with new york city?
Lots of things. First of all, I'm not a city guy. New York City is way too crowded and busy for me. The traffic is insane. Wherever you go there's just people everywhere and lines are so long. I'm not used to this. Secondly, it's really expensive to live here. The guy who said the rent is too damn high was not kidding. The crime rate is high. And if I can be frank, it's pretty dirty. There's trash all over the street, lots of pollution, strange revolting odors everywhere. Maybe some people like it - I certainly don't.

Reactions: 4 users
Someone probably would have swapped you

Some poor soul from the Upper East Side is in Syracuse or Buffalo right now, drinking with their med school classmates, truly suffering, knowing that they could be doing the exact same thing tonight, but in Brooklyn.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Lots of things. First of all, I'm not a city guy. New York City is way too crowded and busy for me. The traffic is insane. Wherever you go there's just people everywhere and lines are so long. I'm not used to this. Secondly, it's really expensive to live here. The guy who said the rent is too damn high was not kidding. The crime rate is high. And if I can be frank, it's pretty dirty. There's trash all over the street, lots of pollution, strange revolting odors everywhere. Maybe some people like it - I certainly don't.
Translation: I'm from bumble**** USA and can't get used to the upgrade

Reactions: 2 users
Translation: I'm from bumble**** USA and can't get used to the upgrade
Another problem with New York City, there are a lot more jackasses, like this guy.

Reactions: 11 users
Can someone explain residency swapping? It seems like it makes no sense...lets say I match at UCSF IM I can then swap with someone that matched at some ****ty community IM program? Why would UCSF take him or be okay with that?

Can someone explain residency swapping? It seems like it makes no sense...lets say I match at UCSF IM I can then swap with someone that matched at some ****ty community IM program? Why would UCSF take him or be okay with that?
It doesn't really work. It's a match violation all around. There might be some rare unique situations where both residents, and both programs, might be happy with it and convince the NRMP to release everyone from their match commitments. But I wouldn't count on it.

It doesn't really work. It's a match violation all around. There might be some rare unique situations where both residents, and both programs, might be happy with it and convince the NRMP to release everyone from their match commitments. But I wouldn't count on it.
Based on my reading of the match committment, it only lasts for 45 days, after which you can leave or switch if you want. So I should be able to swap for the PGY2 year if someone is willing to offer a position and both programs are happy with it.

I agree with this, they somehow manage to make NY look pretty on TV, but there are so many people there and they produce so much trash, there are huge piles of trash everywhere and I swear at night the streets and subways come alive with huge rats, and people there are so use to them they don't even flinch.

Reactions: 2 users
I agree with this, they somehow manage to make NY look pretty on TV, but there are so many people there and they produce so much trash, there are huge piles of trash everywhere and I swear at night the streets and subways come alive with huge rats, and people there are so use to them they don't even flinch.
They really don't. My co-intern who grew up in NYC took me to a "popular" spot in Brooklyn which was run down with graffiti, barbed wire everywhere, abandoned warehouses, huge piles of trash everywhere stinking up the place, urine smells literally everywhere etc. Didn't seem to bother him at all.

They really don't. My co-intern who grew up in NYC took me to a "popular" spot in Brooklyn which was run down with graffiti, barbed wire everywhere, abandoned warehouses, huge piles of trash everywhere stinking up the place, urine smells literally everywhere etc. Didn't seem to bother him at all.

That's what's "cool" in NYC.

Oh no, not barbed wire!

Brah you soft

Yeah, I mean who doesn't love getting robbed and/or shot?

What is it about people who think that everyone living in cities is just itching to use them for target practice? Come out to my town in Real America (TM) where everyone on the road after 10PM has a BAC of 2 if you want to talk about "safety".

Yeah, I mean who doesn't love getting robbed and/or shot?

Having lived in Manhattan a few years, your point about the dirtyness is spot on. It's gross and there's always a new, noxious smell around each corner. Regarding safety though, I must disagree. I've lived in a few major cities and have felt safest here by a long shot. Importantly, there are always people around. Random crimes of opportunity are a lot less likely when there are 20 witnesses.

What is it about people who think that everyone living in cities is just itching to use them for target practice?
Because it really happens? > 2100 people have been shot in chicago this year alone.

Having lived in Manhattan a few years, your point about the dirtyness is spot on. It's gross and there's always a new, noxious smell around each corner. Regarding safety though, I must disagree. I've lived in a few major cities and have felt safest here by a long shot. Importantly, there are always people around. Random crimes of opportunity are a lot less likely when there are 20 witnesses.
I do agree that Manhattan is significantly safer than other major cities. I don't feel that way about Brooklyn or the Bronx.

Because it really happens? > 2100 people have been shot in chicago this year alone.
It is very easy to avoid getting shot in Chicago. The majority of violent crime in Chicago happens in poor minority communities and the victims are other poor minorities. Stay out of those areas, and Chicago is probably close to the safety level of Manhattan. Honestly, no one has any reason to be in those areas anyways (except the popular parts of Pilsen, which have been gentrified by hipsters to the point that those areas are pretty safe)

I'm a New Yorker who can't wait to get out of NY, but I definitely understand why people love it. It is unlike any other city. It is a commercial capital, so a lot of jobs that you can't do elsewhere. I'm a musical fan and I've got cheap tickets to see all the big names and original casts for a lot of shows. Tons to do. Good, cheap street food- best I've had in any US city. Any kind of food you want and any language you can think of will be represented. You can do and get anything you want at any hour (this is a huge plus for me). Well connected public transport. Ocean nearby. Plus many other outdoor activities close enough to everything.

That being said, the negatives of NYC are enough to make me want to leave. But I would encourage you to take advantage of all the good things while you are there.