Mt Sinai vs NY Presbyterian for EM elctive

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PERRL

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys I'm an MS III about to enter my fourth year who is interested in EM. I'm am trying to decided between where to do my EM elective in NY for November. I have to decide between Mt Sinai and NY Presbyterian. Any suggestions on which would be a better experience clinically. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys I'm an MS III about to enter my fourth year who is interested in EM. I'm am trying to decided between where to do my EM elective in NY for November. I have to decide between Mt Sinai and NY Presbyterian. Any suggestions on which would be a better experience clinically. Thanks.

I'll tell you up front that Andy Jagoda is my hero. That said, Sinai gets you either MSH ED on Madison Ave, or Elmhurst in Queens. The variety of pathology at Elmhurst is just crazy - huge volume, AND sick people - and, if you speak another language, you WILL use it there - whether it's Spanish, French, Chinese, Russian, Polish, or just about anything else (Swahili, Hindi, Tibetan - yes!). Mt. Sinai Hospital gets a mix of really REALLY rich people, nice old Jewish folks, and various homeless types that live on the streets outside the residences of the aforementioned two groups. The ED at MSH is crowded because it was designed for about half of the volume it gets.

Presbyterian is likewise interesting because it's Cornell and Columbia. Cornell has the busiest burn center in the US (about 1800 burns go through the ED each year). Cornell is on the upper east side, and that's snobbier than Mt. Sinai's area. Most patients have a PMD, and they all get a call. ALL of them. Cornell also has Neal Flomenbaum. Columbia is in a deeply Dominican area - the Health and Hospitals Police Department don't cover it (because it's a private hospital), but the security are dressed like them (and I don't recall if they are deputized or not). I really liked Drs. Giglio and Sayan as people. I just got a good vibe there.

I don't know, though, if Mt. Sinai and Presbyterian split your time between each campus (that would be kind of a bummer). Any one of the four hospitals would be well worth your time.

Edit: I see that NYP splits you between Columbia and Cornell.

Last edited: