Mt Sinai vs NYU? USNews (or other) rankings

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

smid

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
What's the difference. From the bit I've read, they are both affiliated with NYU.

Also, does anyone know where I can find the rankings (with out paying). I've got my list of schools, but I'm afraid that I don't have "back-up schools". I have no idea how to gauge my appl.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Also, any information on BU vs Tufts?

In both cases, they're totally separate programs, although NYU and Mt. Sinai are involved in a less than successful hospital merger. . . their medical schools, however, remain totally separate.

BU and Tufts are completely different and have no affiliation (that i am aware of). BU's primary hospital is Boston's public hospital -- Boston Medical Center. Tufts primary hospital is New England Medical Center.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was wondering more about the difference in caliber. I know they are different schools, but I don't know much about how hard/easy it is to get in. I'm considering them as back-ups, but am not sure if this is wise.

I've found the MSAR book to be less than helpful in that most schools' stats sound the same to me.

I'm afraid this will get burried with all the MCAT frenzy. (I threw away my password, so I don't know my score yet...)

Anyone have advice on how to choose schools? It's so expensive!

Actually you shouldn't consider any of these schools as backups, even if you have really stellar stats and experience. Eventually you will realize that no med school is a safety school. The closest thing to a safety school would be your state school (unless you live in CA). But either way, definitely apply to them if you are interested in attending if accepted. Apply to as many schools as you are willing to go!

Hahah..great...a person from Berkeley eh?

You call these schools backups? Why do you say that?

These are top 25 schools....Please share your stats Berkeley Kid and what makes you think that these are "back up"?

Just b/c AVERAGE STATS indicate that the average MCAT and GPA are 30 and 3.6 DOES NOT mean that if you have a little above these scores you are guarenteed to get in.

I am most interested in why you find these schools to be your backups..

Sinai: Easier to get into if you have a true want to help disadvantaged and have good ECs to show this.

NYU: Umm...They like stats more I think. Just look at their averages.

Mount Sinai and NYU are affliated...it's a very odd marriage though. Sinai is trying hard to get out of it, but if you were to graduate from Sinai tomorrow, your degree would have both Mount Sinai and NYU on it...I don't remember how the wording would go though. Something like Mount Sinai of New York University.

They are both amazing schools in New York. I only really saw Sinai. It consists of basically three separate buildings, one of them apartments. The hospital and classrooms are sort of combined into this massive block long structure that is currently being added onto. I found the people surprisingly nice. I had a rather bad stereotype of New Yorkers and they blew it away. The research seems great too. The location is seemed kind of run-down from my viewpoint, but I guess that is good for patient diversity and a chance to help people who really need it. The facilities themselves were certainly not run-down. Central Park is right next door. I highly recommend the school and if you're looking to live in NYC, you really should apply to both of them.

I'll admit that I actually thought of Sinai as a backup first too, primarily because they took so many UCSD students. It isn't a backup school though and if you get a chance to interview you'll understand that just from the feeling you get. It's on a totally different plane than schools like Finch, George Washington, Albany, etc. A good rule of thumb is...MSTP institutions do not make good backup schools, unless they're outside of California, public, and you're a resident of the state they're in.

Yikes! I am hesitant to post my stats. Well, I don't have my MCAT score yet (from April) because I threw away the password (I thought it was pretty f#$%ed up of them to charge $15 to see your score early.)
I'm one of those "different" applicants, and NOT arrogant. I just haven't looked at rankings and am trying to apply to schools in cities where my fiance can find a job that he likes.

Anyway, I have an undergraduate degree in chem, and graduate in physics both from UC Berkeley. I just finished a year of post-bacc classes at Berkeley(Bio, biochem, that sort of stuff, plus a humanities class which I am SERIOUSLY lacking and am terrified it will keep me out) and I did do well (and am very proud!) in them.

Anyway, I was hoping to get a tip as to where to look for these rankings. My list of schools is based primarily on location and Claifornia (and the CA ones are NOT back-ups).

I just want to be sure I am including all places we are willing to go, but I also don't want to throw money away on schools that are too competitive.

How do you guys gauge it?

Wishy Washy

What does "Wishy Washy" mean?
I'm sorry that I'm not so in the loop on what schools to apply to, but I just started researching school in December, a few at a time. Mostly I've looked at their websites.

I just wanted some advice on how you guys picked your list. I guess that's wishy washy, but whatever.

I haven't read through this thread, but <a href="http://www.people.virginia.edu/~gem3m/med/2003%20Rankings.xls" target="_blank">here</a> is a link to the latest US News rankings in excel format (without having to pay, thanks to SDN members :D ).

To reiterate what Scoob said --

Don't consider these schools as backups!!!!! I treated them as top choices and yet look at what happened:

Selected Admission Stats for The Fly--

NYU: Rejected post-interview
Sinai: Rejected post-interview

and yet. . .

Yale: Accepted
Penn: Waitlisted-&gt; Accepted-&gt; Matriculating
WUSTL: Accepted

Moral: NOTHING is certain! Everything is variable!

The Fly and Scooby are correct. You shouldn't approach these schools as backups. I'd go so far as to say that you shouldn't approach any schools as backups. Yes of course, you have a better chance of getting into some schools compared to others, but in the end it becomes much more than average stats.

I am a California resident as well and applied to the UCs, Stanford, NYU, Sinai, Einstein, RWJ, and NYMC. .NYU waitlisted me and I have since withdrawn. Mount Sinai did not even interview me. My stats 'fit' what Sinai and NYU look for...go figure.

The UCs were even stranger. I only received two interview invites from the UCs...SF and Irvine. Davis rejected me presecondary, UCSD put me on hold for an interview and then rejected me, and UCLA rejected me postsecondary (so did Stanford). Irvine waitlisted me and subsequently accepted me, and I received an acceptance to UCSF. Now, that doesn't make a whole lot of sense when I try to understand how and why I got into where I did and where I didn't.

I guess I am sharing this with you b/c I can somehow relate to where you are coming from. When you are myopically focusing on only numbers...you start to look at gpa and mcat and think, "hey, i have a good shot at that school". I just don't think it is that easy . Your personal statement, your state residency, your ECs, your LORs, your interview skills...all come into play when it comes to making a decision on your application. I know people with great numbers who did not get one interview at a UC, and I also know people with solid (but not great numbers) who have gotten into excellent schools. The sooner you realize this the better...all medical schools are difficult to get into.

•••quote:•••Originally posted by smid:
•I was wondering more about the difference in caliber. I know they are different schools, but I don't know much about how hard/easy it is to get in. I'm considering them as back-ups, but am not sure if this is wise.

I've found the MSAR book to be less than helpful in that most schools' stats sound the same to me.•••••wow -- a lot of lecturing from other people, not a lot of information. UC Berkeley is especially considered to be a very prestigious school around the country when applying to medical schools. Many schools, such as New York Medical College, take a large number of students from UCB and it is informally known as the "out-of-state Cali State school." Between Mount Sinai and NYU, both great schools -- both would get you to a residency you would like. NYU is very well respected and has lots of research ties (especially with HIV research -- Aaron Diamond). Mt. Sinai has a great hospital, and the location is superb. Neither school is a top 20 school (USNews wise), but are both respected highly in the community. I don't think either of these are backup schools, but who cares if you want to think of them as that -- if you get in, and you get in somewhere else better -- then it turns out that NYU and Mt. Sinai were backup. If you decide on one of these -- then great! A lot of people here get all hot and bothered when you use the word "backup" or "lower-tier." Just ignore them and look for some real info -- hope this helps.

•••quote:•••Originally posted by MedStudent2004:
[QBwow -- a lot of lecturing from other people, not a lot of information. UC Berkeley is especially considered to be a very prestigious school around the country when applying to medical schools.

A lot of people here get all hot and bothered when you use the word "backup" or "lower-tier." Just ignore them and look for some real info -- hope this helps.[/QB]••••Of course we know UCB is considered a good school to come from...
That doesn't mean it's going to be a breeze to get into even a lower tier school. I've seen my friends have to reapply b/c they didn't make it right off. Their stats put them pretty high on the list (3.7, 31 for one person; 3.58, 33 for another person; and 3.1, 37-39 for the other...all applied to around 25 schools and all got rejected first year they applied....all from Berkeley too)

The fact that this person took a couple extra years to do graduate work will def help him/her.