MUA: Loan, Financial Aid, Davenport University?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lemaida

lem2552
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all... Does anyone have any information about additional private student loans, or if someone used personal loans to to pay for MUA? .... I know they have Title IV status, we could apply for Federal aid, but I have pervious loans... so I'm looking to supplement.
Also I have read some articles on some people doing the MBA at Davenport University to help supplement living expenses.
Any information or a lead would help lol.... Thank you. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all... Does anyone have any information about additional private student loans, or if someone used personal loans to to pay for MUA? .... I know they have Title IV status, we could apply for Federal aid, but I have pervious loans... so I'm looking to supplement.
Also I have read some articles on some people doing the MBA at Davenport University to help supplement living expenses.
Any information or a lead would help lol.... Thank you. :)

Probably not the type of information you're looking for, but I can tell you as someone that's graduating from a Caribbean medical school....steer clear of MUA. They do not have the track record to reliably place you in a residency, plain and simple, regardless of what their admissions team is telling you. If you're from the US, do everything you can to get into a US MD/DO program. If that's not an option, ONLY consider SGU/Ross/Saba/AUC/AUA, and even then I would encourage you to only consider SGU or Ross.

The partnership with Davenport is essentially a bait and switch to get you on the line for federal loans that MUA is otherwise not qualified for. The degree itself will be worthless to you. You really need to rethink this decision.

Probably not the type of information you're looking for, but I can tell you as someone that's graduating from a Caribbean medical school....steer clear of MUA. They do not have the track record to reliably place you in a residency, plain and simple, regardless of what their admissions team is telling you. If you're from the US, do everything you can to get into a US MD/DO program. If that's not an option, ONLY consider SGU/Ross/Saba/AUC/AUA, and even then I would encourage you to only consider SGU or Ross.

The partnership with Davenport is essentially a bait and switch to get you on the line for federal loans that MUA is otherwise not qualified for. The degree itself will be worthless to you. You really need to rethink this decision.

Thank you for your input bedevilled ben. Still I would like to hear other perspectives... if anyone has gone through with the process?

Members don't see this ad :)

Just curious why you put SGU and Ross above Saba and AUC. I thought "the big 4" were pretty much interchangeable.

Just curious why you put SGU and Ross above Saba and AUC. I thought "the big 4" were pretty much interchangeable.

SGU and Ross are by far the most well known Caribbean medical schools. Academically I would say they are mostly on equal footing. Saba, AUC, and AUA are definitely at a disadvantage when it comes to residency interviews and placement, though. Additionally, Ross and SGU have better clinical placement in MS3 and MS4.